Setting Bank = -1 results in no playback

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Setting Bank = -1 results in no playback

I want to preface my question by saying that I am by no means a MIDI or SoundFont expert.
I'm simply an enduser who wants a better MIDI listening experience. :)

I'm currently composing a track in SynthFont, with two of the tracks relying on other banks (bank = 8) than the preset bank = 0.
When I go into the "Edit soundfont properties" in the VirtualMIDISynth controller, I set Bank = -1 to load all banks, but this results in no playback.
Setting Bank = 0 after I've opened the MIDI file in Windows Media Player gets the track to play and load the correct banks and presets.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it a minor bug in VirtualMIDISynth?
I'd like to be able to just open a MIDI file and have the right banks/presets be loaded instead of doing the three-step process described above.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Re: Setting Bank = -1 results in no playback

Well, believe it or not, I'm not a MIDI/SoundFont expert too :D
Most of the VirtualMIDISynth MIDI/SoundFont/Synth tasks are done by BASS libraries (http://un4seen.com).

Are you sure your MIDI player is sending the right bank select messages?
When you preload a single bank of a soundfont (bank settting = 0), that bank is selected and used as default one even if no specific bank is selected.
If you preload all soundfonts (bank settting = -1) then - I suppose - you should select a specific bank using Bank Select control change message (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI_Level_2#Supported_Control_Cha...).