Expand MIDI Converter's functionality

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Anonymous user
Expand MIDI Converter's functionality

VirtualMIDISynth is awesome tool and latest update makes it even more awesome.

MIDI Converter is a welcome feature, but it could use few more features:

1. Selection of whole folder for conversion - currently files one by one takes forever. :(

2. Instead of Output file info box there should be Select output folder with create folder if doesn't exist.

3. I tried to convert to MP3: downloaded the codec, but the output file's quality was horrible. Seems like quality configuration parameters were lacking? And so I wish I could configure MP3's conversion settings like it is possible in Winamp - with correct configuration the quality was almost original.

And one feature request for VirtualMIDISynth itself:

VirtualMIDISynth #1 was gone from MIDI Out device list - I think a cleaning utility removed it. I checked under VirtualMIDISynth's MIDI Mapper tab. So I wish there was a quick "restore entry" function under MIDI Mapper tab. Or a quick general self repair.

Re: Expand MIDI Converter's functionality

Your request has been added to TODO list.

Eros wrote:
VirtualMIDISynth #1 was gone from MIDI Out device list - I think a cleaning utility removed it. I checked under VirtualMIDISynth's MIDI Mapper tab. So I wish there was a quick "restore entry" function under MIDI Mapper tab. Or a quick general self repair.

You can simply reinstall VirtualMIDISynth over the existing (and now broken) one.
Configuration settings will be preserved and missing items will be fixed.

Anonymous user

Thanks for taking in consideration!

One more thing would be quite welcome:
Volume level configuration for conversion, automatic if possible - without configuration, with certain SoundFonts, the converted sound file will have distorted sound because volume level of instruments hit through the roof.
In a music player, like Winamp, the MID plays fine, no distortion, since certain mechanics do their job, but in converted file, the mechanics haven't been used, and it sounds horrible. So it would be a welcome feature to be able to tell the converter to reduce volume when converting. Or automation that pre checks for highest peaks and reduces volume accordingly. Or both.

Anonymous user

Sorry for writing this too late, but I was digging the internet and you have an option to skip programming the converter expansion:
I found SynthFont1 on the internet, it's fully freeware, it converts MIDIs to MP3s without requiring anything extra, not even quality or volume level adjustments; the written files have near original quality, if not slightly better.
SynthFont1 lacks only mass conversion and it takes a bit time to convert a single file. But at least it gets the job done well.

So you have the option to redirect people to SynthFont1 instead.

Here's a beta version of the upcoming 2.2.0 version with the following features and fixes:

• NEW: MIDI converter now supports batch conversion of multiple files at once
  • NEW: User can now pass custom parameters to external encoder (actually MP3/FLAC formats are supported)
  • FIX: MIDI converter doesn't use configured Reverb and Chorus settings

Please post your thoughts about this version here, don't start other threads.

UPDATE: attachment removed, version 2.2.0 has been released...

VirtualMIDISynth 2.2.0 has been released (http://coolsoft.altervista.org/virtualmidisynth) and contains the new features mentioned in this thread.

My wishes :)

1. Is it possible to save the audio from first note and not from the beginning of the file? First there are only sound commands and silence in most files. thx

2. A variable like the filename, that can be used in the extended encoder settings. So you can write the correct mp3 tag for each file.

Thanks for your suggestions, both interesting.

OliverB wrote:
1. Is it possible to save the audio from first note and not from the beginning of the file? First there are only sound commands and silence in most files. thx

Well, I need to check in BASS documentation how to "skip" to first note without loosing the preceding MIDI messages (initialization, setup, volumes, tempo, ...).
Maybe I only need to jump forward to first note...

OliverB wrote:
2. A variable like the filename, that can be used in the extended encoder settings. So you can write the correct mp3 tag for each file.

This is something I haven't thought at all, but I'm sure it could be easily added.

Added your suggestions to TODO list ;)

Nice. Thanks for the reply. Maybe it is possible to cut the wave after it is ready.

Well of course it could, but it would be an uncomplete solution:
VMS Converter has direct access only to .WAV files; compressed files are generated by external tools, so it would be really difficult (and risky) to trim files generated externally...

IMO it would be better to trim the source at start and output it ready to be compressed.

Pages