Vertical MIDI Mixer

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Vertical MIDI Mixer

Don't you think a vertical mixer would be less bulkier in some situations?

I think a option to change the mixer to vertical orientation would be really useful (as an option when you right click on the mixer)

Here, this is more or less how it should look in vertical mode:

Re: Vertical MIDI Mixer

Quick plan of what's required to add this feature:

• swapping X/Y coords in all drawing functions while keeping both H/V modes available requires an extra if (verticalMode) {...} else {...} switch in each drawing function
  • change text drawing functions from V to H and viceversa, while updating the centering algorithms
  • change custom knob controls (knobs are owner drawn controls, not Windows scrollbars)
  • change the hotkeys (Vol -/+ becomes LEFT/RIGHT instead of DOWN/UP)

To my eyes it's a huge lot of work... does it worth it? Let's see:

Pros:

• Instrument names much more readable.
  • It will possibly best fit in wide screens (supposing its height will fit in screen height).

Cons:

• Narrower window with an almost unreadable title.
  • Unusual sliders orientation (99.9% mixers are vertically oriented, with MAX volume at top); Windows 10 volume is the first horizontal I've ever seen... and I (personaly) hate it.
  • Unreadable Master label (you've edited and polished it to make it more readable, but consider that available Window paint functions are not so "advanced" and a vertical drawn text is usually worst than an horizontal one.

That said, I'm not closing the door to your suggestion but, being it a lot of work, I'd like to know if other users need it and/or how is it going to improve VMS usage to them.

Re: Vertical MIDI Mixer

Hi, thanks for the quick response, I came up with some solutions to make this easier to implement while keeping vertical sliders

First I came up with the (most important) idea, as simple as keeping the current sliders but on vertical window orientation:

The only problem being that the master will only fit vertically because of the prime number (17) of sliders, while this is the most pixel efficient method this makes the master slider horizontal

Here's the same thing but with the pointless maximize windows key removed to make room for text (not sure if you can actually program that though)

And the easy solution to keep the current master slider, just by putting it next to the 16 at it's right:

This will fit into a 720p (HD) screen (unlike previous versions that were 726 pixels) and has more room for text in the window

And if you really want to get fancy about it you could make a bigger master slider to make use of those unused pixels:

Thanks for reading my suggestion