VirtualMIDISynth and Guitar Pro 7

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
VirtualMIDISynth and Guitar Pro 7

I noticed that when I open my copy of Guitar Pro 7, which can use MIDI input and output, VirtualMIDISynth essentially screws up. If I have a fresh install of VirtualMIDISynth and play a MIDI file, everything works as expected. If I run Guitar Pro 7, and then try to play a MIDI file, no sound is produced at all. Even if I close Guitar Pro and open MIDI files, I get absolutely nothing. Further, all MIDI music in my DOSBox emulated games also go away.

The only work around I've found is to uninstall and reinstall VirtualMIDISynth. Of course though, if I ever run Guitar Pro, the problem occurs all over again.

Re: VirtualMIDISynth and Guitar Pro 7

Which VMS version are we talking about? Please update to the latest 2.3.2 at first.
OS version?

Dralafi_XIII wrote:
If I run Guitar Pro 7, and then try to play a MIDI file, no sound is produced at all. Even if I close Guitar Pro and open MIDI files, I get absolutely nothing. Further, all MIDI music in my DOSBox emulated games also go away.

Do the same actions with VMS About box open (click on systray icon, Configurator, About tab), to check which processes are using VMS.
Start playing a MIDI file with something working (not Guitar Pro) and check if it disappears from About tab once play ends.
Then start GuitarPro and check what happens in About tab...

Dralafi_XIII wrote:
The only work around I've found is to uninstall and reinstall VirtualMIDISynth

Have you tried to forcibly close VMS (through its systray icon) and restart it?
Or, as last resort, you could terminate virtualmidisynth.exe with Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc, details tab).

coolsoft wrote:
Which VMS version are we talking about? Please update to the latest 2.3.2 at first.
OS version?

I'm using the latest version. That was one of the first things I checked when I discovered this. I'm also using Windows 10.

coolsoft wrote:
Do the same actions with VMS About box open (click on systray icon, Configurator, About tab), to check which processes are using VMS.
Start playing a MIDI file with something working (not Guitar Pro) and check if it disappears from About tab once play ends.
Then start GuitarPro and check what happens in About tab...

If I start playing a MIDI file, I can see it open in the 'About' section in VirtualMIDISynth (I use Windows Media Player classic, so that's what I see). I stop playback, and it goes away.
I open Guitar Pro, and I see Guitar Pro pop in there momentarily before immediately going away. This is before I've even loaded any songs.

coolsoft wrote:
Have you tried to forcibly close VMS (through its systray icon) and restart it?
Or, as last resort, you could terminate virtualmidisynth.exe with Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc, details tab).

I just tried forcibly closing it and reloading it, and that actually works! A tad easier to do than re-installing every time. Ideally though, would like it so that I don't have to do this at all.

It seems that Guitar Pro 7 tests device availability upon startup and then hangs VMS for some reason; I should debug it on my side.

Is there a trial version of GP7 available?
If yes, could you confirm it has the same issue (I'd like to avoid downloading/installing it uselessly)?

coolsoft wrote:
Is there a trial version of GP7 available?
If yes, could you confirm it has the same issue (I'd like to avoid downloading/installing it uselessly)?

There is a trial version, and I just confirmed that the problem is present on that one as well.

https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=download

I was not able to reproduce the bug on my side.

My Guitar Pro does not open/close VMS device at start but instead it opens VMS and keep it open even when closed.
That's a bad behavior since GP7 does not send MODM_CLOSE message to the driver, as expected, so VMS server component thinks it's still open.

I've added a workaround to version 2.4.0-rc1 (available here: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/611) for these misbehaving clients.
Please check it out to see if it fixes your bug (it also contains a lot of other fixed respect to 2.3.2).