Properties not showing - Foxit problem?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Properties not showing - Foxit problem?

Hi - Norton finally stopped identifying PDF Property Extenstion as a threat yesterday, so I've been able to download and run it, and it seems to have installed (I had a dialogue page while it did so). However when I change the title and keywords of a PDF they are not showing up in Windows Explorer. This may be because either it hasn't installed (I don't have admin rights), or possibly my Foxit PhantomPDF installation is hampering it?

When I look at indexing options and file types, the handler for .pdf is "Foxit PDF Filter". Should this be something else now? Is there any way I can determine whether the PDF Property Extenstion installation worked?

This may well be a fantastically useful tool, if I can get it working!

All the best
Jim

Re: Properties not showing - Foxit problem?

Some thoughts about what you wrote:

Jim McNeill wrote:
This may be because either it hasn't installed (I don't have admin rights)

It's not possible to install PDFPropertyExtension without admin rights; if you don't give them the setup don't (or shouldn't) go on.

Jim McNeill wrote:
when I change the title and keywords of a PDF they are not showing up in Windows Explorer

Beware that Windows Explorer has some kind of caching of file properties, used to avoid hammering filters with the same files over and over.
Usually this cache rebuilds when it detects file changes (size, last changed date, ...) but sometimes it doesn't.
Closing and restarting Explorer process (in Windows 10 you can right click on Explorer in task manager and select restart) should fix it.

Jim McNeill wrote:
Is there any way I can determine whether the PDF Property Extenstion installation worked?

Check this Registry keys values:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.pdf --> {AEE2E439-D294-41D8-BE62-34D154070307}
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\{AEE2E439-D294-41D8-BE62-34D154070307} --> "PDF Property Extension"

{AEE2E439-D294-41D8-BE62-34D154070307} is the GUI of PDFPropertyExtension.

If they are different or missing please reinstall it.

Re: Properties not showing - Foxit problem?

Thanks for the swift reply - I've checked my registry and neither of those keys exist, so yes I guess it hasn't installed. I've put a ticket into our IT guys asking for an install, let's hope they don't go tougher than Norton on me!

Cheers
Jim