Realtek driver hang

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Realtek driver hang

After play the synth remains active (notification area icon).

This hangs the Realtek HD audio driver which in turn prevents Windows 10 from sleeping.

Can the synth be made to automatically terminate when play has completed?

Thanks

Re: Realtek driver hang
krosnafone wrote:
Can the synth be made to automatically terminate when play has completed?

The auto-close feature has already been asked (by you ;)), and it's already on the TODO list.
I'm sorry but it's not ready yet...

As for the Realtek bug, could you check in VMS Configurator -> About tab if there's some virtual device left opened?
I wonder if VMS keeps the Realtek driver in use if all MIDI clients were closed correctly.

Thought I recollected discussing this with you earlier, though wasn't aware of the SLEEP issue then.  Should have searched. ^_^

Loaded a MIDI file, closed it.  VMS remained open and the Realtek driver was still in use.  Exited VMS and the driver unloaded.  See attachment.

That driver has a tendency to 'hang' on some pages as well.  http://www.ighome.com exhibits that behavior, but not always.  Perhaps it's related to what active content is being served??

Appreciate the courtesy update.

Attachments (Only registered users)
VMS.jpg
krosnafone wrote:
Perhaps it's related to what active content is being served?

Well, it could.

Anyway, if VMS About dialog show that all virtual devices were closed, it means that nothing in VMS is keeping driver files in use.
You could try to do a deeper analisys with Sysinternals Process Explorer: check VMS open file handles list and look for any Realtek related file.

I'm out of ideas...

Thanks.  No Realtek mention seen under any VMS tab in Process Explorer.  Close VMS and the audio driver immediately unloads.

This is making things more complicated.
Scratching my head...

The Realtek driver keeps the PC online whenever it detects an audio stream inside a thread and/or process with priority set to Time Critical!

KaleidonKep99 wrote:
The Realtek driver keeps the PC online whenever it detects an audio stream inside a thread and/or process with priority set to Time Critical!

This is a really good catch, thank you so much!

@krosnafone: could you please test it and confirm that, after you've reduced VirtualMIDISynth.exe process priority down to Normal, you'll be able to suspend your PC again?

If yes, I could then add a new feature to automatically reduce process priority when no device is in use...

Opened a MIDI, which launched VMS

Played the MIDI file then closed the player.  VMS icon still active in notification area

Openied Task Manager|Details and changed priority to NORMAL

Realtek driver still in use

Exited VMS

Realtek driver released;  system able to suspend

Good try!  Thanks

This is really weird... I tested it on my desktop, and it is able to suspend when the playback thread's priority is set to Normal.
What I forgot to mention is that both the playback thread AND the host process need their priority to be set to Normal. You can set  the priority of a thread by using Process Hacker.

Here:

In that case, I guess the only way to get around this would be to suspend the playback thread when there's no MIDI activity (BASS_ChannelPause), then wake it up again (BASS_ChannelPlay) when needed.

Pages