VirtualMIDISynth 2.8.0 - Beta

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

VirtualMIDISynth 2.8.0 - Beta

This thread will publish next VirtualMIDISynth 2.8.0 version beta/RC releases.
Version 2.8 will contain a lot of changes, expecially in MIDIConverter; that's why I've started a public Beta test...

PLEASE POST BUG REPORTS OF BETA VERSION IN THIS THREAD, DO NOT START NEW ONES ;)

v.2.8.0-beta3 - 2019-10-14

• Soundfonts configuration was applied instantly to new MIDI clients (but not stored to config) even if not confirmed with configurator dialog Apply/Ok buttons.

v.2.8.0-beta2 - 2019-10-06

• Silent crash if opening Configurator dialog (with About tab selected) while playing.

v.2.8.0-beta1 - 2019-09-01

• NEW: New MIDI converter feature to skip initial silence.
  • NEW: Generated MP3 and FLAC files now include default tags (Title and Comment).
  • NEW: Updated BASS libraries: BASS 2.4.14, BASSMIDI 2.4.12.1, BASSENC 2.4.14.
  • FIX: Added missing Open/SaveDialog titles and translated file filters.
  • FIX: MIDI converter now sends 24bit floating point data to MP3 encoder (lame.exe) like it already does with FLAC (flac.exe).

UPDATE 2019-10-29
VirtualMIDISynth 2.8.0 has been released, this thread is closed.

Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.8.0 - Beta

Thx, will try the features as soon as possible.

EDIT
Works as expected :)

I completely missed out on the release of this beta, but better late than never.

It's asking me to reboot even though there isn't anything open conficting again, I will report if I see any bugs apart from that after I reboot

Edit: So I tried to open a midi before the required reboot (my pc is doing a operation so I can't reboot until it's done) and to my surprise it actually played it with no noticeable problems, It's working with the last soundfont chain config I had and the mixer works, midi file converter windows opens but I haven't tried it, If I try to open the configurator or "about" VMS completely crashes

So I have rebooted and VMS it's still completely crashing when I try to open configurator:

Cheers

Edit: I've tried to re install it with the option to erase configuration from beta on and it still crashing every time, but now without any soundfont, because the configuration was erased from the installation option, I will return to the stable version since this one doesn't work for me until you release another update, I don't know if it's related that I upgraded my PC from a fx8150 to a ryzen 1600
Edit2: The installation of the stable version 2.7.3 also asked me to reboot even if there wasn't any program interfering with the installation, I rebooted and apart from that the stable version seems to have installed correctly

@Anonimo_LLopi: does downgrading to 2.7.3 fix the Configuration dialog crash?
Then, again, upgrading to 2.8.0-beta reintroduce the issue?

Ver. 2.8.0 uses an updated Win32++ library, so this could be the cause of this issue...

Sadly it could be really hard to fix since the crash happens without messages.
Could you try to run VirtualMIDISynth.exe through Windbg.exe and try to extract a memory dump and/or a stack trace?

One suggestion: When changing the volume of the midi channels with cc7 volume msb the sound changes strangely. For example, if I play a drum with multilayer at 127 when changing the cc 07 volume msb the drum is played at another velocity. That I do not want, rather I want to change the volume but respect the velocity that the note was played. Solution: The keyboards do not send the control message 11 msb expression in their sequences, but you could add by default in the flow with the value 127. |

Yes, going back to 2.7.3 fixes the crashes completely

I've tried to install the 2.8.0 beta again and this time it didn't ask me to reboot, and the configurator actually opened (on it's own when vms started)!

Until I tried to click on the tray icon that caused vms to completely crash, now it's still doing the same behavior of crashing every time if I try to open the configurator window

I can try the debugger thingy but I can't promise I will know how to use it :P, I will post here later if I manage to get anything ;)

With the debugger the config window opened (by pressing manually the tray icon and then configurator) it completely crashed when I clicked on the About tab

I'm not sure if this is what you want but here's the whole text of the "command" window from the debugger when the crash happened on the attachments:

Edit: Ok, it crashed without the config window opening, 2.txt is this 2nd crash

Edit2: Not sure if it will help, but this is the same crash error: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a197c527-da91-4ef...

Attachments (Only registered users)
1.TXT
2.TXT
Anonimo_LLopi wrote:
With the debugger the config window opened (by pressing manually the tray icon and then configurator) it completely crashed when I clicked on the About tab

Found it, "About tab" was the magic word!
It turned out being a malformed format string (that worked with previuos versions of Win32++, even if malformed...).

Thank you for your detailed report ;) Beta2 released (see first post).

Ok, I've tried the beta2 and everything works without any problem, 0 crashes o7

I've tried out the skip initial silence thingy and it works perfectly, I'm pleased that muting channels don't change depending on where every channel starts and wherever those channels are muted or solo'd (for example if I solo channel 1 and the first note of this channel is at 5 seconds but channel 2 starts a 2 seconds it doesn't just start the recording at second 5 because, it starts at where the first note of the midi in general plays which is good for sync purposes).

The only weird thing that happened it's that clicking on the tray icon caused a midi playing to stop all sounds for a second, this happened twice and with a midi that changes instruments really frequently on several channels, though I just finished updating gpu drivers before this happened and the whole pc was slighly graphically gitchy due to me not rebooting, after rebooting I haven't been able to reproduce this so it's almost 100% because of the gpu drivers installation without reboot.

Anyways, are you planning to implement more new features on 2.8.x? ;D

Pages