Harsher sound compared to earlier

It seems you're using an AdBlocker or JavaScript is disabled!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).

This 10 seconds wait is to let you update your AdBlocker whitelist...

Got it, show me the content...
Please enable JavaScript!
Harsher sound compared to earlier

I meant to post this a while ago, so the demonstration of "new" is for 2.7.3, not 2.7.8. This does not affect the result, AFAIK.

I've noticed that WAV files created using the MIDI converter have a significantly harsher compared to ones created 2 years ago. For reference, my computer reports my original recordings as having a date modified of 11/20/2017. The new recordings were created a few days before uploading. While I'm not going to complain about the newfound sterophony (presumably taken from the original samples), I have noticed it sounds prominently harsher, resulting in a less believable piano (when it is advertised as "realistic"). It's a long shot, but is there a way to fix this without impacting the "accuracy" of gaming (compared to SC-55)? I wouldn't mind a option force samples to mono before mixing, but there seems to be something additional going on.

Link to MIDI, recordings, and soundfont used both times (I used Concert Grand (Realistic)): https://archive.org/details/MadokaMagicaPianoMedleyAnimenz

PS: I have no clue if it is related, but the real-time player seems to struggle with 16th notes that are too close together, as heard when playing this song with this soundfont (which I usually use with DOS games).

Re: Harsher sound compared to earlier

Well, VMS changed a lot in the last 2 years but in this case the change you're noticing should come from the BASS libs, also changed a lot meanwhile (VMS uses BASS+BASSMIDI, https://un4seen.com, as its rendering engine).

I really don't know how to help, because... and I'm not "an audiophile" at all ;).
You could try to post the same question, together with your sample files, to Un4seen form; you could find a lot of musicians there and maybe someone could help in point out what's changed...

Re: Harsher sound compared to earlier

Okay, that makes sense. I'll do that.