Can't select VirtualMIDISynth as output device in QuickTime for Windows

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Can't select VirtualMIDISynth as output device in QuickTime for Windows

We couldn’t be happier with our VirtualMIDISynth, but there’s a large group of musicians still waiting for something eerily similar.

Apple’s QuickTime (QT) has been around since 1991 and was bundled with macOS. It is still offered on Apple’s website as a downloadable standalone installation for Microsoft Windows.

Both platforms exhibit an identical malfunction. From the QT manual:

QuickTime uses its built-in synthesizer to play MIDI files. You can also set QuickTime to use an external synthesizer instead of the built-in one. To specify a different synthesizer (in Windows):

1 Choose Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences.

2 Click Audio.

3 Select the synthesizer you want from the Default Music Synthesizer pop-up menu.

This command has ceased to function. Only the built in synthesizers are listed. You can no longer access an external MIDI synth. Sound familiar?

Apple ceased support for the Windows version of QuickTime in 2016 so we’re on our own.

If anyone has or knows of an instance where this option is still functioning please let us know so we can decipher the fix for everyone.

Spirio|r

Re: Fix for QuickTime Windows

Follow these steps in sequence:

1. Open QuickTime (QT) player screen. Choose Edit/Preferences/QT Preferences
  2. A new preference Window will open. Go to Audio/Default Music Synthesizer. Your MIDI interface will not be listed, but from the available choices select General MIDI. Then choose Apply/OK.
  3. On the QT player screen choose File/Exit program.
  4. Open VirtualMIDISynth. Under MIDIMapper/Default MIDI Out device, your installed MIDI interface will be listed. Select that device. Then Apply/OK
  5. Reopen the QT player. Import a MIDI file. The external synthesizer will now operate. These settings will remain the default.

Spirio|r

Re: Fix for QuickTime Windows

Well, I suppose that selecting General MIDI (at step 2) means "drive all the MIDI stream to default MIDI device" in the QT world...
Still wonder why they don't allow to select a specific MIDI device but, anyway, if it works that's enough ;)

If you'd like to drive the MIDI data to another "General MIDI" device in the future, have a look at CoolSoft MIDIMapper.

Thanks for posting this fix, it will be useful to other users.

PS: I've edited thread title to better describe the issue and be more searchable