VirtualMIDISynth - No Audio

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
VirtualMIDISynth - No Audio

Just installed Midisynth on a windows 10 machine - decent spec - plenty of memory. Using a behringer USB UCA202 audio interface for audio input and output.

I am using CuBase LE as a music creation tool which works fine with MS Wavetable.

Everything seems to have set up fine - no errors on installation or startup - but just cant get any audio out of the thing.

As a test I have downloaded a random MIDI file and played it through Windows Media Player using MS Wavetable and it plays fine.

I use the Virtual Midi Synth config tool and change the default  midi player device to Virtual midi synth and nothing.

I can see green LEds on the virtual Mixer channels - everything is unmuted and volumes set to max. Windows volume control can see the device and I can set the virtual midi synth to max and still nothing.

Switch back to MS wavetable using the conig tool and all is OK again.

I have attached a file with various tools open for you to view.

Thanks

Paul

Attachments (Only registered users)
Virtyal synth.jpg
Re: VirtualMIDISynth - No Audio
paulboydell wrote:
I can see green LEds on the virtual Mixer channels

I suppose you mean "I can see green LEDs blinking on the virtual Mixer channels", am I right?

I see you're using an SFZ soundfont; SFZ should be tricky to configure.
To make things easier, could you please configure a single .sf2 soundfont, like the well-known and tested FluidR3_GM?

PS: I've deleted your cross-posting in an old 2017 thread... better keep your bug in a dedicated thread here ;)

Hi - thanks for the swift response.

Just to be clear - I am a novice in this area so treat me gently :-)

Update;

Downloaded the fluid3 GM .sf2 and it now works with virtual midi synth through windows media player. So i can can toggle between Ms wavetable and Virtual midi synth and the sf file works with both.

The problem I still have is that I cannot get the Virtual midi synth to work with cubase - even though I can allocate the channels and see things happening in the cubase window - I now cannot see anything happening in the  Virtual midi mixer (no leds flashing etc,)

It just seems to be a problem in connecting the cubase virtual midi synth to the sound card device - very frustrating. So close yet so far.

paulboydell wrote:
I am a novice in this area so treat me gently :-)

Don't worry, but I'm a novice with Cubase; I know it but I've never used (out of my "capabilities") so... can't help you, sorry :(

If you can't see any activity on MIDI Mixed, then Cubase is not using the VMS virtual device.
Open VMS configurator, go to About tab and check if Cubase is listed into the list of programs currently using VMS devices.
If not, then you have to find out why.

Maybe someone with more experience could jump into this thread and give some more help...

Hi - thanks - understand your situation.

Fo info

this is whats in the about box

Windows 10 Enterprise (64 bit) (10.0.17134)
VirtualMIDISynth: 2.9.1 (x64)
Memory (MB): total 8129, free 5270 (65%)
Available devices: 1
=== VirtualMIDISynth #1 ===
* C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Cubase LE\Cubasele.exe (#5980)
  voices:   0, rendering time%:  0%, update rate (ms): 10

So Cubase seems to be there.

And I've just tried it again and for some reason its now working!!

Sounds great - thanks for your help :-)

paulboydell wrote:
And I've just tried it again and for some reason its now working!

Well, I hope it continues to work then ;)