VirtualMIDISynth 2.10.1 WMP Default Device keeps resetting

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
VirtualMIDISynth 2.10.1 WMP Default Device keeps resetting

The WMP Default Device keeps resetting to MS GS Wavetable Synth. After setting back to VirtualMidiSynth #1, and pressing apply and OK, it'll randomly reset back after some time. My PC is always on 24 hours/day and I rarely reboot unless there's an update. Any idea how to fix this?

Windows 10 Home Edition v10.0.19041 build 19041
VirtualMIDISynth 2.10.1
MIDIMapper 2.0.1

Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.10.1 WMP Default Device keeps resetting

I just realized that Windows Media Player that I have on my PC refuses to play MIDI files. So I've to install a 3rd party player to do just that. I wonder what the "WMP Default Device" in VirtualMIDISynth Midi mapper settings do. Maybe for an older version of Windows where WMP actually can play MIDI files?

Windows 10 Home v2004 Build 19041.610

Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.10.1 WMP Default Device keeps resetting

I've never used WMP to play MIDI/KAR files (in fact I've never used it at all;)).
I've always played them with VanBasco, which is lightweight and always allowed control on key/tempo and channels mute/solo.

Anyway, that setting was added to set the default ActiveMedia MIDI device to be used to play MIDI stream, and WMP is (still) supposed to read and use it.

Earthkeeper wrote:
Maybe for an older version of Windows where WMP actually can play MIDI files?

AFAIK Windows Media Player on Windows 7 still works well; since Win7 is still supported by VMS I'll leave that setting there.
If much more users report that it's useless on Win10+, then I could hide/disable it on Win10 to clean up the GUI a little bit.