How to auto-Select SoundFont?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
How to auto-Select SoundFont?

I'm a newbie so please bear with me:

I've got a GM/GS SoundFont, and an XG SoundFont. How do I configure VirtualMIDISynth so that when I play a midi file, it will automatically play using the SoundFont that correspond to the midi type? e.g. use the GM SoundFont when playing GM midi, and XG SoundFont when playing XG midi. Or is there a way for it to auto-select the correct instruments from both the sound fonts?

Re: How to auto-Select SoundFont?

Soundfonts priority is top-down so, if you put your GM soundfont at the top of list and the XG one after it, when you play a GM MIDI file it (should) find its instruments right in first file and won't go searching them in second one.

Otherwise when you play an XG MIDI file, when XG instruments are searched VMS won't find them in first soundfont then it "fallsback" to second/third/... one.

UPDATE: this explanation is WRONG! See below for the correct one...

The note below the "SoundFont Chain" in VMS states: Soundfont load order is top to bottom (the latest will overwrite the first).

I have these in VMS:
1st is a GM/GS SoundFont (JaZMan Genesys Pro8)
2nd is a GM/XG (JaZMan SFXGMPro)

When a GM midi is played, does it use the Genesys Pro (you state that priority is 1st, then 2nd), or does it use the SFXGMPro (since the latest will overwrite the first)?
And if it uses the SFXGMPro, is there a way to force it to use the Genesys instead?

Thank you so much for your reply. It helps alot.

It seems that 2nd SoundFont overwrites the first if they have the same instruments. The Genesys Pro (GM/GS) also does contain XG instruments and vise versa.
I'll try to rearrange and see which order I like better. Thank you so much for your help.

Earthkeeper wrote:
It seems that 2nd SoundFont overwrites the first if they have the same instruments

I'm sorry, I wrote an incorrect explanation...

SF2 reading order is top-down but the last found wins.
So, if the required instrument is found in second/third/... SF2 file, it will overwrite the one found in first one.

Better explanation here: VMS FAQ

Sorry for my misleading answer.

Sorry for the newbie question: If I only want to use the standard drum of this soundfont (set as the last one below the list), how should I set the preset and bank offset? The standard drum is at 128:0

Attachments (Only registered users)
2020-12-18_12-44-44.png