increase gain with VMS

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

increase gain with VMS

Hi there. I recently found a very good soundfont that is almost a 1 to 1 copy of the famous SC-55 Synthesizer. The same one to compose the music for Doom and Duke Nukem. Here’s a link if anyone is interested.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/118828-updated-now-on-github-the-most-accurate-sc-55-soundfont-out-now/

My only problem is that the gain is quite low, is there a way to fix this?

Re: increase gain with VMS

If you open soundfont property editor (by double-clicking on a soundfont in soundfont list or clicking on edit button) you should see a Gain property that will be applied to all soundfont samples.

See the attached picture.

Attachments (Only registered users)
soundfont-gain.png
coolsoft wrote:

If you open soundfont property editor (by double-clicking on a soundfont in soundfont list or clicking on edit button) you should see a Gain property that will be applied to all soundfont samples.

See the attached picture.

Thanks, that will solve a big isue I'm having having. I must have missed this somehow. Does this setting affect the font itself or just VMS IE does it change the .SF file?

Also why would a soundfont file have such low gain? I don't know much about sf files aside from the fact they needed for midi emulators. I take it they are some kind of instrment data file or something.

Mintmag wrote:
Does this setting affect the font itself or just VMS IE does it change the .SF file?

SF file is not touched at all. The additional gain is applied to SF samples at rendering time.

Mintmag wrote:
Also why would a soundfont file have such low gain?

Sorry, I have no idea 🙄

coolsoft wrote:
Mintmag wrote:
Does this setting affect the font itself or just VMS IE does it change the .SF file?

SF file is not touched at all. The additional gain is applied to SF samples at rendering time.

Mintmag wrote:
Also why would a soundfont file have such low gain?

Sorry, I have no idea 🙄

I wanted to ask you what some of these settings

What do settings like reverb and max chorus do? Does increasaing this increase the qulatiy? What about overridr received MIDI SYSEX messages?

Attachments (Only registered users)
VMS Settings.JPG
Mintmag wrote:
What do settings like reverb and max chorus do? Does increasaing this increase the qulatiy? What about overridr received MIDI SYSEX messages?

Reverb/chorus max levels are limits applied to the corresponding MIDI configuration setting received during play.
Override SYSEX will override the received reverb/chorus settings and keep a fixed (default) value.

coolsoft wrote:
Mintmag wrote:

Reverb/chorus max levels are limits applied to the corresponding MIDI configuration setting received during play.
Override SYSEX will override the received reverb/chorus settings and keep a fixed (default) value.

Do these affect sound quality or sohlud I leave them? I know I have to turn on sinc interpolated sample mixing to improve sound quality.

Mintmag wrote:
Do these affect sound quality or sohlud I leave them? I know I have to turn on sinc interpolated sample mixing to improve sound quality.

It depends on what you mean with "quality".
Rendered audio quality is technically the same, but listening quality depends on how you like your music to sound: more or less "reverbered", more or less "chorused" ecc...

coolsoft wrote:
Mintmag wrote:

It depends on what you mean with "quality".
Rendered audio quality is technically the same, but listening quality depends on how you like your music to sound: more or less "reverbered", more or less "chorused" ecc...

But I'm sure what any of that even means? How is this diffrent from changes dials on the mixer?

Mintmag wrote:
But I'm sure what any of that even means? How is this diffrent from changes dials on the mixer?

Can't understand what you're asking, sorry 🤔

Pages