Win 8.1: Synth unregistering by itself

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Win 8.1: Synth unregistering by itself

Hi! 

I love your Midi Synth! I use it a lot to play legacy games. 

However, ther's one problem. Under Win 8.1 it keeps unregistering itself. I.E. after installing everything is fine, but later (probably next reboot), the synth is no longer listed in the Midi device list. To fix that, I have to install it again. 

Do you know this problem? Is there a fix?

Regards, Martin

That's really strange, never

That's really strange, never seen it...

It seems like something is preventing VirtualMIDISynth to install properly and "sandboxed" it, so at next reboot everything is reverted back.

Please open regedit.exe after VirtualMIDISynth installation and take a look at these registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

Both of them should have a value named midi1 (or midi2, midi3, ...) with value VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.dll

This lets VirtualMIDISynth appear into available MIDI devices.

Now reboot your machine and, if VMS is disappeared, take a look at the keys above. If the value is missing, then something is "resetting" this key to a previous value.

Anonymous user
Thanks!

Thank you for your reply. 

Actually, it's not the reboot. So far it has been unregistering twice in the last two weeks since I'm using VirtualMIDISynth but I don't know when that happened exactly. I didn't do a System Restore or anything like that and there's no security software installed that could keep drivers from sticking. Actually, I suspect the Soundblaster Z drivers - maybe they're doing something when switching modes. Those drivers are weird anyway. I'll try to find a pattern. 

Thanks for directing me to the registry key, I'll simply save those two keys so I can restore them easily. Right now everything looks fine. 

If I can figure out something, I'll let you know!

That's a good idea; you can

That's a good idea; you can restore them, restart your MIDI app and VirtualMIDISynth will come back immediately.

Hope you'll find out what's resetting that key...

Registry keys

Check out ProcessMonitor from Microsoft Windows SysInternals ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 ).

With that tool you can monitor, who is changing the registry keys and when - and maybe even why.

Be sure to select only the required registry keys or registry subtree, because if you monitor the whole registry, your machine will get reeeeeaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy ssssllllllloooooowwwww ...

Good luck

Re: Registry keys

I'm having the same problem on 8.1, thanks for the keys

I switched to Windows 8.1 like 5 days ago, but I only have this problem when installing BASSMIDI Driver by kode54.

VirtualMIDISynth setup installs the driver into the first available MIDI driver registry key (there are 10 available: midi, midi1, midi2, ..., midi9).

Maybe other setups are not so "polite" and always use the first one.
So if VirtualMIDISynth is already installed, it will be "overwritten" by the last installed one; reinstalling VMS should fix the problem.