Why do VirtualMIDISynth freeze everything (short time) before playing/changing music?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Why do VirtualMIDISynth freeze everything (short time) before playing/changing music?

Hi.

I use Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth with sourceports like GZDoom and games like Age of Empires because it plays the music nice and clean.

Unfortunately theese games often crashes on close when using VirtualMIDISynth. Especially GZDoom (you have to start a game first) that always crashes and can for example discard changes just made in the game config and so on bacause of that.

But the alternative BASSMIDI Driver doesn't suffer from the ''freeze'' at all. It's lightning fast and makes gameplay feel smoother. I'm sad to say that if BASSMIDI Driver hadn't theese problems with some noise I had used it instead.

I have tried everything with the delay, realtime, preload, hardware and so on. Nothing helps.

So i'm wondering if it is possible to fix this in the furure? 

best regards, Fredrik

Re: Why do VirtualMIDISynth freeze everything (short time) before playing/changing music?

Install the latest alpha, problem resolved.

Re: Why do VirtualMIDISynth freeze everything (short time) before playing/changing music?

Sorry for the late reply.

The "freeze" you see is due to the soundfont preloading that happens each time VirtualMIDISynth starts.
VirtualMIDISynth is loaded/unloaded by the MIDI client (your emulator) each time it needs it; being this an architectural limit, it can't be avoided.

The best option you have is disable preloading through the configurator (see the configurator options tab).

Version 2.x of VirtualMIDISynth will workaround it, as @supergod suggested, but please consider that it is still far to come... ;)

Unfortunately disabling preloading through the configurator won't help in GZdoom even a bit.

Only installing alpha.