Faulting module embedhtml.dll in virtualmidisynth v2.9.3 installer under xp mce sp3

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Faulting module embedhtml.dll in virtualmidisynth v2.9.3 installer under xp mce sp3

i have no problems installing this software in xp pro sp3 (or even xp pro sp2 with the /skip_os_check switch), but it absolutely refuses to install in a fresh xp media center edition sp3 build. the installer loads and after i click next, it bombs out when trying to display the readme.html in the install dialog. i get a faulting module 'embedhtml.dll' in the application event log. the xp default ie is installed, but i don't think embedhtml.dll is a microsoft library.

i don't see why this can't run under xp mce sp3...the only significant difference from professional is the inability to join a domain. if there's no inherent incompatibility with mce, the only other thing i can think of is that the embedhtml.dll that ships with v2.9.3 is cpu dependent? i run an athlon xp 2100 so maybe it requires an intel cpu?

is there a way to install this thing manually? i'm sure it would work if i could just get past the readme.html.

Re: faulting module embedhtml.dll in virtualmidisynth v2.9.3 installer under xp mce sp3

VMS setup is built with NSIS.
embedhtml.dll is used by an NSIS plugin to show the embedded Readme.html file at the beginning of the setup.

AFAIK it's not CPU dependant... it only needs an x86 CPU (or its emulation with SysWOW32).

The first thing that comes to my mind to skip the initial page is to use the default NSIS silent installation flag: /S

This should skip all of the setup dialogs and install VMS with default values:

CoolSoft_VirtualMIDISynth_2.9.3.exe /S /skip_os_check

Please note that:

• that VMS version is unsupported
  • silent install has never been tested
  • in case of errors... you're alone 😉
Re: faulting module embedhtml.dll in virtualmidisynth v2.9.3 installer under xp mce sp3

the /S switch worked just fine (didn't need the /skip_os_check). all components install in program files and control panel as expected, but the first run on virtualmidisynth.exe to create the midi driver causes a module fault. i also tried re-running the installer in safe mode with the same result.

i'm thinking i have to be deficient in some requirement used by your libraries, or it's the amd cpu thing. my system is an iwill kk266plus-r (kt133a), athlon xp 2100, radeon 9800 non-pro, awe64 and a generic nec usb2.0 pci card. i'm skeptical i have something installed that is conflicting for such a vanilla xp sp3 build. other than hardware drivers/software, this is all i have installed:

- .net 3.5 sp1 and all previous revisions

- visual c++ 2005, 2008, 2013 redistributables

- directx 9c final

- windows media player/center

- ffdshow

- internet explorer 8 final

- dosbox

- munt mt-32 midi driver

i'm disappointed that i won't be able to get virtualmidisynth running as this is looking more and more like a dead end. i also tried to use fluidsynth (which i've had great success with in linux) pre-compiled binaries for windows, but they also error out immediately. i wonder if all of these things are closely related.

yeah, the problem is sse2 instructions which my cpu doesn't have. virtualmidisynth doesn't work with a pentium 3 either. i'm in the same boat with fluidsynth as well--it uses arch=sse2 by default. i confirmed this with the guy who builds their pre-compiled xp binaries. he's tried using arch=ia32, but it has been very problematic.

stanwebber wrote:
the problem is sse2 instructions which my cpu doesn't have

Ouch, I haven't realized it was such an old one, missing that set of (now essential) instructions.
Still thinking they're not used at all by embedhtml.dll, but it could have been compiled with that minimal requirement needed 🙄

Anyway, BASSMIDI.dll needs sse2 for sure, so this is a showstopper.

coolsoft wrote:

Anyway, BASSMIDI.dll needs sse2 for sure, so this is a showstopper.

Hi, Claudio.

This is not true. All the Bass libraries work perfectly without SSE2. The only drawback without SSE2 is that you cannot use 16-point sinc interpolation with Bassmidi (but it is handled by Bassmidi internally so there is no run-time error). So without SSE2 you are restricted to 8-point sinc interpolation which is not a big deal.

@falcosoft: ok, I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

So it could be VMS itself, which is built with VS2019 that (as I can read here) defaults to using SSE2 instruction set and registries.

coolsoft wrote:

@falcosoft: ok, I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

So it could be VMS itself, which is built with VS2019 that (as I can read here) defaults to using SSE2 instruction set and registries.

If I understand it correctly the conversation you referred above is about the x64 VS2019 compiler which always use SS2 since it is part of the x64 architecture. Contrary SS2 is not mandatory in case of x86 and compilers usually use extra switches to enable it or in case of newer VS compilers you can use /arch:IA32 to disable it.
Since OP uses an old AthlonXP that is not x64 compatible at all he/she must be referring to the x86 version of VMS.

hey, i remember reading this during my troubleshooting efforts under "Troubleshooting steps to solve issues with VirtualMIDISynth" in the faq section of this very website:

1. VirtualMIDISynth requires a modern CPU to run.
An Intel Core2 CPU (or newer) should be fine, like an AMD AthlonXP processor (or newer).

does this leftover remnant mean that at one time my cpu was supported? if so, would it be possible to pinpoint at what release ver the sse2 instructions were introduced?

stanwebber wrote:
if so, would it be possible to pinpoint at what release ver the sse2 instructions were introduced?

I don't know when they were introduced because... I don't know the "deep internals" of MS compilers.
But I can pinpoint the VMS versions when I've upgraded to a new compiler version:

• VS2013: v.1.13.0 (2015-03-29) --> v.1.17.1 (2016-04-24)
  • VS2015: v.2.0.0  (2017-03-22) --> v.2.1.0  (2017-10-31)
  • VS2017: v.2.2.0  (2017-11-27) --> v.2.9.3  (2020-07-18)
  • VS2019: v.2.10.0 (2020-08-30) --> current version

Attached here you'll find the latest releases of each compiler version.
Hope it helps 😉

Attachments (Only registered users)
Latest-VMS-versions.zip

Pages