VirtualMIDISynth 2.x - Release Candidate 2 released

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.x - Release Candidate 2 released
guilt wrote:
only 32bit version available, despite both drivers being marked with the (x86 x64) icon. I am running Windows 10.
notator wrote:
4. Selected two VMS devices, and checked Options/Appearance/"Suppress 'device is already in use' message".
This time I got an error dialog saying something like:
"The device is not available for 32-bit and 64-bit versions, please select one that is. Failure to do so can result in unpredictable behaviour."
Sorry, but I dismissed the dialog too quickly. I should have made a screenshot.

Fixed now, thanks both for reporting it.

notator wrote:
coolsoft wrote:
Users can misdirect developers in a shot.
Yes, but you're the boss! :-)

I meant: I'd like to avoid users being confused by doing things "behind the scenes". A confused user will give confused bug reports.

coolsoft wrote:
bdg2 wrote:
I tried rc2 and created two VirtuMIDISynth devices but I couldn't select them as output devices in WinJammer Pro because something kept saying they were already in use by a certain PID, which didn't actually seem to exist.

Each virtual device has a watchdog that checks its owning PID; if it dies unexpectedly, the device is released.
Watchdog check time is 2 to 4 seconds.

Now I'd like to know why the shown PID does not exist.
Are you sure you've opened Task Manager in Administrator mode (pressing the Show tasks of all users button)?
I've seen unexpected system processes (like Comodo Firewall) trying to open media devices...

Further investigations reveal that VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0rc2 and WinJammer Pro really dislike each other.

In fairness I must point out that WinJammer Pro is a very old program. It was written for Windows 95 & 98 and is now abandoned. The author seems to have kept more code than he should have from the original Windows 3.1 16 bit version since it still uses 100% CPU on one thread when playing a MIDI file, which is totally unnecessary with Win32.

Anyhow just clicking OK in WinJammer Pro's MIDI configuration dialog makes eveything screw up requiring a reboot before VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0rc2 can be used again, even if only the MIDI mapper is selected as a MIDI output device.

I can only use WinJammer Pro by selecting just the MIDI mapper as output device (and choosing any MIDI input device(s) I want) before I install VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0rc2.

bdg2 wrote:
Anyhow just clicking OK in WinJammer Pro's MIDI configuration dialog makes eveything screw up requiring a reboot before VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0rc2 can be used again, even if only the MIDI mapper is selected as a MIDI output device.

This is really strange, because both are userland programs so killing them out with task manager should free up every used resource and allow you to restart from scratch.
I suppose you've already tried to kill all running processes one by one to find what's wrong, right?

I'm sorry to see that another well-known piece of MIDI software is now abandonware.

I decided to go back to BASSMIDIDRV for now since it gives me two usable MIDI devices for WinJammer Pro.

So I uninstalled VirtualMIDISynth, rebooted and installed BASSMIDIDRV and rebooted again. But I can't configure it, it's configuration program just instantly quits. Anyone had this before after using VirtualMIDISynth or know a fix?

bdg2 wrote:

I decided to go back to BASSMIDIDRV for now since it gives me two usable MIDI devices for WinJammer Pro.

So I uninstalled VirtualMIDISynth, rebooted and installed BASSMIDIDRV and rebooted again. But I can't configure it, it's configuration program just instantly quits. Anyone had this before after using VirtualMIDISynth or know a fix?

I've had a similar problem when installing VMS rc2. After (re-)installing VMS, it was silently removed by Windows10 when Windows rebooted. I think that problem is probably related to the Windows10/VMS rc2 32-bit, 64bit problem, so should be solved in the next release candidate.

Maybe your problem will also go away when rc2's 32-bit, 64-bit problem has been resolved...

http://james-ingram-act-two.de/

notator wrote:
bdg2 wrote:

I've had a similar problem when installing VMS rc2. After (re-)installing VMS, it was silently removed by Windows10 when Windows rebooted. I think that problem is probably related to the Windows10/VMS rc2 32-bit, 64bit problem, so should be solved in the next release candidate.

Maybe your problem will also go away when rc2's 32-bit, 64-bit problem has been resolved...

I don't really see how it's at all similar.

Also I'm not using Windows 10, it breaks too much stuff, and Microsoft keeps changing it to break more stuff every few months.

bdg2 wrote:

It was similar because I also had an installation that instantly disappeared. But the similarities obviously stop there, so my posting doesn't help after all. Sorry.

BTW: My problem has not recurred. I'm running VMS rc2 fine in Windows 10.

http://james-ingram-act-two.de/

notator wrote:
bdg2 wrote:

It was similar because I also had an installation that instantly disappeared. But the similarities obviously stop there, so my posting doesn't help after all. Sorry.

BTW: My problem has not recurred. I'm running VMS rc2 fine in Windows 10.

I didn't have an installation that disappered.

One of the programs you need to set up BASSMIDI (not VirtualMIDISynth) instantly closes when you run it.

I've been running RC2 since it was released and have had no problems.  The latency issues I had in RC1 seem to have generally disappeared.

I still wouldn't mind more than 4 devices available (6 or 8?) but I am not going to complain. 

Keep up the great work!

Joseph

[JJH/Jovet]

coolsoft wrote:
bdg2 wrote:

This is really strange, because both are userland programs so killing them out with task manager should free up every used resource and allow you to restart from scratch.
I suppose you've already tried to kill all running processes one by one to find what's wrong, right?

I'm sorry to see that another well-known piece of MIDI software is now abandonware.

It seems the PIDs are previous PIDs of WinJammer Pro. Something about the "old style" way WinJammer Pro works seems to mean that when it closes it disappers from Task manager but some part of it is left behind still claiming resopurces. I don't know more yet.

Pages