Thanks and a question about SF2 chaining

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Thanks and a question about SF2 chaining

Hi,
I just wanted to drop a big thank you for this new version and for bringing the virtual midi synth to the community. It works very well on my systems and i can now forget all the "virtual midi cable to vst host" configs. Nice!

I haven't used a lot of sf2 since my soundblaster AWE32 time, that's a while. Is there somewhere specs of the midi info (CC, ...) supported by your drivers? I would like to know how if can alter some parameters like chorus speed, attack time, ...

and can you explain a bit better the chaining? What's the purpose?

By the way the last 1.4 version is is now understood by noatikl (www.intermorphic.com) a generative music program. The previous driver didn't appeared in the midi output list.

Again, nice work, thanks. I'm now investigating sample robot (http://www.samplerobot.com) to transfer some vst and real synth to sf2. Any chance you'll support other format in the future? sfz? vsti hosting ;=)

Greetings from Belgium,
Ben

Thanks for your positive

Thanks for your positive comment, I'm glad you like my work.

VirtualMIDISynth uses BASSMIDI.dll (from un4seen.com) as MIDI rendering engine, so refer to it for the specs.
BASSMIDIDRV is a driver similar to VirtualMIDISynth and uses the same library.
Rich Nagel published this list of supported messages: http://www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/BASSMIDI_Driver_MIDI_Implementation_Chart.htm. It will apply to VirtualMIDISynth too.

As for the "soundfont chain", think it like an ordered list where the last loaded SF wins.
For normal use you could load a single (your preferred) soundfont and use it for all instruments.

But some users don't like some instruments contained in a SF2, so they can change it with (better) others.
Suppose you configure a full GeneralMIDI soundfont at first position (A.SF2), then a small SF containing only your preferred Acoustic Grand Piano samples at second (B.SF2).

Now VirtualMIDISynth will use A.SF2 for all instruments except for Acoustic Grand Piano which will be rendered from B.SF.
This chain could contain up to 10 items.