VirtualMIDISynth 2.5.0 - Release candidate (was Beta)

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.5.0 - Release candidate (was Beta)
coolsoft wrote:

@Anonimo_LLopi: thanks for your bug reports, fixed in RC3.

2.5.0-rc3 just released, see first post.

Ok, I will be testing

In this new version the first time I unmaximized the window with the drag command the window disappeared out of my screen (It wasn't closed, just went somewhere off screen) but it only happened once, I will report if it happens again

Apart from that everything work as expected, midi file converter works, no issue with the scrolling/maximizing

Also I reported the issue with the midi mapper on the midi mapper bug report forum because I forgot there was a forum for it when I posted it here:
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/668

Anonimo_LLopi wrote:

Also I reported the issue with the midi mapper on the midi mapper bug report forum because I forgot there was a forum for it when I posted it here:
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/668

Thanks, I'll cleaned up previous post then.

As for the first-resize issue, maybe there was something uninitialized that lead to unexpected coordinates... will check out.

I have found a problem with the peak indicator:

Basically when the left/right channel peaks and the other one doesn't, the peak indicator doesn't turn on:

As you can see in audacity the peak indicator only turns on when both channels are peaking (the red stripes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BirhHdTUKE0&feature=youtu.be

The current mono peak indicator when working with stereo it should turn on even when it's just peaking on one of channels, currently both channels need to peak for it to turn on which means it's only accurate when stereo it's disabled

In the next version where you add the stereo volume indicator it will mean the volume indicator will also have 2 different peak indicators, one per channel which should completely fix this problem

But for now that it's just mono it should turn on even if just one of the two channels it's doing the smallest peak to warn you there's a peak

Cheers

Peak indicator is calculated on the same value used for level indicator.
Being it mono it's a mean value between L and R channels.
That's why it won't light if channel levels are much different...

Anonimo_LLopi wrote:
In the next version where you add the stereo volume indicator it will mean the volume indicator will also have 2 different peak indicators, one per channel which should completely fix this problem
Of course it will.

Anonimo_LLopi wrote:
But for now that it's just mono it should turn on even if just one of the two channels it's doing the smallest peak to warn you there's a peak
I don't think it's a good idea, even if it's easier to implement: think about a MIDI continuously peaking on R but not on L channel.
Users looking to level meter will never see it reach red levels BUT the peak indicator will continuously light up... we (you and me) know what's behind this algorithm, but what about them?
They'll start posting bug reports on it or, worst, think "wow, that VU-Meter is crap".
Better wait for real stereo VU-Meter...

I'm going to close 2.5.0, it should come in a quick 2.5.1 update or 2.6.0 whichever comes first.

coolsoft wrote:

Peak indicator is calculated on the same value used for level indicator.
Being it mono it's a mean value between L and R channels.
That's why it won't light if channel levels are much different...

Anonimo_LLopi wrote:
Of course it will.

Anonimo_LLopi wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea, even if it's easier to implement: think about a MIDI continuously peaking on R but not on L channel.
Users looking to level meter will never see it reach red levels BUT the peak indicator will continuously light up... we (you and me) know what's behind this algorithm, but what about them?
They'll start posting bug reports on it or, worst, think "wow, that VU-Meter is crap".
Better wait for real stereo VU-Meter...

I'm going to close 2.5.0, it should come in a quick 2.5.1 update or 2.6.0 whichever comes first.

I see, it wouldn't be worth to implement anyways if you are going to release a new version with this feature soon

One last odd thing I've found, when a midi starts sometimes the volume indicator and the peak indicator light up like if the midi were starting at peaking levels of volume

When in reality it doesn't, even when the master slider it's really low it still does it:

Here I open different midis quickly with wmp:

It doesn't happen with the same midi twice, it's quite random when it happens

It seems to happens sometimes when you close a device

In VKP, because it doesn't closes the device as much as WMP it doesn't normally happens unless you close it yourself by spamming stop and play buttons

Sometimes in VKP, the peak indicator does get turn on when changing midis without closing the device

The reason I don't like this behaviour is because it makes me think the midi is already peaking at the beginning so it makes me lower the master slider when in reality it isn't necessary

Cheers

Version 2.5.0 final released.

@Anonimo_LLopi: since now 2.5.0 is an "official" release, please check it out and - if needed - repost your last bug report in a new thread ;)

Pages