Midi Not Working On Windows 7

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Midi Not Working On Windows 7

Hello. ^_^ I live and die by Virtual Midi Synth. It's total heaven for me as a MIDI enthusiast.

On Windows XP, everything works great. I have a Windows 7 machine that I'm preparing for when I can no longer use XP for web browsing or something else that's critical. I'm using the same sound card as in the XP machine, and I'm having a huge problem getting MIDI's to play.

First, I will say that I'm using unofficial drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS, since they're the only ones that will work properly. Creative (makers of the card) did put out official drivers when Windows 7 launched, but they don't work right in 2018. So I went with Daniel K's unofficial drivers, which allow the card to work on any OS, including Windows 10.

I've read all over the Internet how bad MIDI support is on Windows 7 or later. I couldn't even find a MIDI option until I installed Virtual Midi Synth. It showed me that all the MIDI outputs were indeed there, just like on XP. However, when I go to play a MIDI, it just won't do it. I've tried using Winamp, Windows Media Player and VLC Media Player, all with no luck.

Can anyone help? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Re: Midi Not Working On Windows 7
Kyra Pixie wrote:
when I go to play a MIDI, it just won't do it

Could you elaborate on this?
I suppose you mean "it won't play with VirtualMIDISynth" since I suppose that Winamp, Windows Media Player and VLC play the file using the bundled Microsoft MIDI Synth.

If so I suggest you to install VanBasco MIDI player (remember to run its setup with the "Run as administrator" option, even if not asked for).
It's lightweight and really good on Win7; it still works great in Win10 too.
Once installed open its configuration window and explicitly select VirtualMIDISynth as output device and you're done.

Actually, I meant that whichever MIDI output source I pick (Microsoft MIDI Synth, Virtual Midi Synth, SB Audigy 2 ZS Synth, etc.), no MIDI's will play at all. Winamp does nothing, which is the norm when it doesn't know how to play a file. Windows media player says the file format is unrecognized. VLC player does nothing, just like Winamp.

I downloaded VanBasco MIDI Player and installed it like you said. I went into the options and chose VirtualMidiSynth as the output. I'm getting the same type of results as with all the other players. It says: "The file has an invalid format and could not be loaded." I also tried all the other MIDI output selections and got the same result.

I know the file isn't invalid, as it plays just fine on my Windows XP machine. :(

That's really strange, never heard something like this.

Maybe a silly question but... are you really sure the file is ok?
You wrote it plays fine on WinXP but maybe it got corrupted when transferred to Win7 machine.
I'll check its integrity by comparing file hashes on both machines (https://www.raymond.cc/blog/7-tools-verify-file-integrity-using-md5-sha1...).

Did you try other files?
Do all of them not work? Maybe there's something that prevents MIDI files to open (antivirus, spyware, ...).

Thank you so much for getting back to me. That file was indeed corrupted during a transfer from my external hard drive. I copied it (and other MIDI's) over again, and they worked. I am rejoicing, hearing all my soundfonts again! :D

coolsoft wrote:
Maybe a silly question but... are you really sure the file is ok?
Kyra Pixie wrote:
That file was indeed corrupted during a transfer from my external hard drive.

Sometimes the basic things are the ones we don't mind checking twice ;)