VirtualMIDISynth not applying to some programs?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
VirtualMIDISynth not applying to some programs?

I've just obtained the VMS software and found it to work great when playing midi files through WMP et al. However, when the midi files are run through an external program, such as a game or a web browser, the software is no longer applicable and it reverts to using the lame-ass MS Wavetablesynth I am trying to avoid. How can I ensure that all programs route their audio through VMS?

The only "official" way to

The only "official" way to route MIDI streams is the Windows MIDIMapper (default MIDI device selection).
Till Windows XP this setting was available through the multimedia icon on the Control Panel.
Vista and newer removed this setting (but not the MIDIMapper layer), so you need an external tool to set it (like VMS Configurator, MIDI Mapper tab).
Windows 8 seems to be locked on MS synth, most users reported they can't change it so I removed the setting.

You say that WMP plays MIDI through VMS; since WMP doesn't have a setting to choose the output MIDI device, I suppose your MIDIMapper is working correctly.
As for the browser, check you don't have the Apple Quicktime plugin enabled into your browser, or at least, configure it to not play MIDI files.
Games: each of them has its own configuration, patches, command line options... I really don't know how to help here :(