Lingering notes

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Anonymous user
Lingering notes

First of all, thanks for the wonderful program!

Secondly I would just like to say that this is maybe the 10th time I'm reverting back to an older version, I'm getting a lot of lingering notes after about a minute of playback. I hate having to pause and unpause the music just to get rid of a lingering note. I use MIDI to double check the notation I'm doing, and when the orchestration is thick, it's hard to notice "what's that wrong note" when I didn't actually write it in!

After a while, VirtualMIDISynth will completely stop working and require me to reinstall (or update), so every time I decide to try out the new version. But considering I always end up doing this, I think I will always stick to older versions from now on. I just noticed that the previous version is Jan 2013... I hope I don't run into the same problem!

I don't know if this is a common problem, just thought I should give you a heads up in case you had no idea. Thanks again for the wonderful work, VirtualMIDISynth has solved a lot of problems for me!

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

The synthomps you described are really strange and, no, this is absolutely not a common problem.

First a workaround for your lingering notes: starting from version 1.5.0 VirtualMIDISynth has a "panic" feature that allows you to silent all notes in a shot. This feature is accessible by right clicking the systray icon or through a shortcut key (usually CTRL+ALT+SPACE). This should help you with lingering notes.

Now the bug fixing part: I need further info, please see the following questions..

1. which notation software are you using? is there a demo/trial version I could use for testing?
  2. what you mean with "thick"? how many simultaneous notes are there? could you please send me a sample MIDI file?
  3. have you tried to disable the option "Increase process priority to REALTIME..."? Some softwares doesn't like its priority being changed.
  4. do VirtualMIDISynth works well on your system with other MIDI softwares (like Windows Media Player or VanBasco)?
  5. when you have a lingering note, which state are the activity indicators on MIDI mixer (available from version 1.7.0)? Is there some active channel shown? If yes, is it always the same channel?
  6. what's the "older version" that does not have the issue?

Cheers