VirtualMIDISynth becomes unavailable and keeps prompting for reinstall (Win10-2004, build 10.0.19033)

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Re: VirtualMIDISynth becomes unavailable and keeps prompting for reinstall

Hello and thanks again for addressing this issue…

Well I for one would NOT mind going in and STEP BY STEP adjusting the registry entries to correct this problem as a workaround…Of course that’s just me and I love the program to WANT to have it fixed and not have this hanging over my head…Especially since I was using it on my LIVE music shows(until the cancellations) and to start a sequenced song and have silence…REPEATEDLY…is just not an option for me.

I can follow standard procedures and input/change every painstaking line by line if need be…Im fully aware of the risks in having just one digit out of place,and  know just enough NOT to be dangerous…LOL

I’d really love a fix and this seems to be an only viable solution that is IF you would agree to post step by step the changes needed in the registry…

Thanks!

Mike AKA Manik Groove
www.reverbnation.com/manikgroove
www.bandmix.com/manik-groove

Well, this is a quick-and-dirty workaround for you to quicky backup and restore MIDI registry configuration.

• download the attached ZIP file to a folder (I suggest a subfolder on your desktop)
  • extract contained .bat files into the same folder
  • now start VirtualMIDISynth and check that it reports the "driver missing" error
  • allow VMS to fix the error (and reinstall driver)
  • now immediately run midi-config-backup.bat to generate a backup of MIDI configuration (into files backup32.reg and backup64.reg)
  • backup files can be restored manually or by running midi-config-restore.bat

WARNING: midi-config-backup.bat must be executed as administrator, so I suggest you to

• create a shortcut to midi-config-backup.bat on your desktop
  • right click on the created shortcut
  • select properties
  • click Advanced
  • check the Run as administrator checkbox

Now you can simply double-click on your desktop shortcut to restore a working MIDI config ;)

UPDATE 2020-05-30: wrapped paths into double quotes to make batch work in folders with spaces in path (thanks to @rookie_one) ;)

Attachments (Only registered users)
MIDI-Config-Workaround_v2.zip

Thank You Thank You THANK YOU!  Works Like A Champ,and exactly what I was looking for in a workaround...

I very much appreciate your diligence,time,and effort looking into this issue,and coming up with this makeshift fix,sir....

Take Care and BE SAFE

Manik Groove

www.reverbnation.com/manikgroove

www.bandmix.com/manik-groove

One thing you could try is making a small service executable that runs with SYSTEM privileges that changes the registry value to the VMS driver. You can then watch the particular registry keys for changes using the RegNotifyChangeKeyValue() API call (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winreg/nf-winreg-regn...) for details.

@Kyle Johnson: that was the first idea I had; but it's like to fix something that continuously broke ;)

I need to find out what's causing that registry key to change and "convince" it to change it the way I like.

in that script, you might want to wrap the %~dp0\backup32.reg and %~dp0\backup64.reg lines in quotation marks.

If you don't, it might cause problems with users that put the scripts in a folder that have a space in the name

Also, I think switch pause for a timeout might be a better idea, since there might be some (like me) who will prefer to put the restore batch file in a scheduled task to run at startup. That way the task would not be kept in a running state

rookie_one wrote:
in that script, you might want to wrap the %~dp0\backup32.reg and %~dp0\backup64.reg lines in quotation marks.

Good catch, thanks for your suggestion.
I've just updated it ;)

rookie_one wrote:
Also, I think switch pause for a timeout might be a better idea, since there might be some (like me) who will prefer to put the restore batch file in a scheduled task to run at startup. That way the task would not be kept in a running state.

This won't be the "final fix" but just a workaround; most of the users will only double click it and I like they have an immediate feedback if something was wrong.
All power users (like you) are free to customize it as they like...

But the files must remain on the desktop, because I noticed that if you delete the files after doing the procedure, the error occurs again

Correction to me doesn't work with this bat file solution

I've had this problem since upgrading to Windows 10 Home (64 bit) 10.0.19041 last Wendesday.

Pages