Windows Search

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Windows Search

Hi, I noticed that since I installed PDF Property Extension, my computer (a Microsoft Surface) was hotter to the touch than normally. I checked in Task Manager and realised the Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host task is running at ~20% CPU for the last several hours. Could it be that the installation of PDF Property Extension triggered a complete reindex of my harddrive because of the newly available metadata? As a quick test, I tried to enter title:"some title" in the upper right corner of a File Explorer window and sure enough, it pulled files containing the search terms! Also, will it something like double the size of that index with the added metadata?

Re: Windows Search

I have no idea about the size increase of Windows Search database, but can confirm the reindexing because of the new data available.

Anyway I usually disable Windows Search completely, because I found it almost useless (for my average use) and CPU consuming, expecially on systems with an SSD drive.
I prefer it to use the whole CPU when (and only when) I start a search, instead of reindexing the whole drive in background at unpredictable times 😉.

Re: Windows Search

Buongiorno Claudio,

Thanks for your reply. I would like to report that once the re-indexing finished, my machine went back to normal except the fact the index grew by almost 5%, which is not as bad as I expected initially. After all, the added fields do need to be stored in the index database somehow, so it makes sense.

I guess it took me by surprise as I have lots of technical documents and it took a while to re-index.