Wavy sounds

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

Wavy sounds

I just installed VirtualMidiSynth. When I added a soundfont and started playing a midi file, I found out that some of notes sound wavy, when they're actually not supposed to sound like that. I tried using different fonts, different programs, changing settings, nothing worked. Am I missing something?

CPU: Intel Core i3-8350K @ 4.00 GHz
RAM: 8GB
Sound card: Built-in
VirtualMidiSynth version: 2.10.2
Software: Games that use Midi
Soundfont: WeedsGM3.sf2

P.S. Sorry if my english is bad (I'm from Russia)

Re: Wavy sounds

UPD: I noticed that this bug is present only when I run Touhou games, but when I don't play them, midis sound pretty good

I don't know those games (other than what I've read on Wikipedia...).
Could it be a CPU spike usage issue?

coolsoft wrote:
I don't know those games (other than what I've read on Wikipedia...).
    Could it be a CPU spike usage issue?
From what I read, Touhou requires SC-88Pro or higher for midi. Does VirtualMIDISynth support it?

And no, CPU spike usage issues weren't detected, it was on steady 30%

VMS (or, better, its underlying BASS libs) support GM/GM2/GS/XG MIDI protocols.

SC-88Pro is a 1996 Roland GM/GS hardware synth, so I can reasonably say yes, it's supported.

I don't think (and hope) that Touhou needs some specific (and proprietary) Roland SysEx sequence to work...

Have you tried on another different PC?

I'm Expienrecing this Problem Aswell but Only with Official Midis Distributed by the Creator of the Games. ALL of my Other Midis Work Perfectly and this Even Affects a SC88 Soundfont I've Been Utilising for the Past Months. I've noticed on Some PCs Rolling back to the Previous Versions May Fix this Problem but it Dosen't on my Current Installation. This Program Used to Work Amazing but the New Version Dosen't seem to Like Windows 10.

Sorry for the Such Quick Reply But I May have Found a Tempoary Fix. Disabling: Overide Recived MIDI SYSEX messages Seems to Fix the Wobbly Noise

Attachments (Only registered users)
image_2021-02-01_141828.png

It would be interesting which one of the sysex mesage is causing the wavy sounds.

Could you please attach the midi file (or part of) ?

I Might not be the Original Poster but I have Rips of all Midi Files. I'll Attach EOSD Stage 1. Pay Attention to the Trumpets. I have Noticed that Version 2.10.1 Dosen't Cause This Problem However

Attachments (Only registered users)
th06_02.rar

I think that the wavy sound depends on NRPNs (or corresponding CC controllers) settings in channels like trumpet, brass, violin; it does not depends on sysex msgs.

You can test yourself by first deleting all sysex msgs but GM/GS reset and listening to the midi file is still wavy sound.
You can then delete all NRPN settings from trumpet, brass, violin channels and listening to again.
The wavy sound has appeared in the last version of VMS because it adopted the new BASS libraries, I think. So the issue is not in VMS itself.

I noticed that one of more of the following NRPNs (controllers) is the cause of wavy sound.
Vibrato Rate (cc#76), Vibrato Depth  (cc#77), Vibrato Delay (cc#78), TVF Cutoff Frequency, TVF Resonance, TVF & TVA Envelope Attack Time (cc#73), TVF & TVA Envelope Decay Time (cc#75), TVF & TVA Envelope Release Time (cc#72).

Pages