VirtualMIDISynth 2.x alpha available for testing

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha8 released
Thalyn wrote:
Time to see if I can "break" something else, though hopefully I won't be able to.

Alpha versions were released exactly for that matter... go break them ;)

supergod wrote:
I was able to reproduce both.
Soon I'll create a detailed bug report - when I found some free time.

I'll wait for it. Meanwhile I'm going to add a couple new features, just to have something new to work on...

Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha9 released

Alpha8 is lookin pretty good.

However, this build triggers "Version mismatch between client (1.999.999.9) and server (1.999.999.8)" on "MPC-HC 1.7.8 x64" and "TMIDI64" (private program), which seems to be related to launching on 64-bit programs.  However the MIDITrail 1.2.1b I have seems to be a 64-bit program too, yet doesn't trigger this error.

Also, I think it might be useful to impliment a crash handler system whether that means the simple creation of text files with debug info each time there is a crash, or a crash reporter, to make crashes easier for you to diagnose.

Feature-wise, I'd like to see an advanced option that will let the user choose how they want VMS to handle overlapping notes, whether it plays both new-overlapping and previous note, turn off the previous note (current default), or cut previous note short with a user defined fadeout time.  And perhaps, an option to see a realtime voice counter in the mixer if possible.

PS:  A thought just came across my mind: It is my understanding that VirtualMIDISynth is supposed to simply pick up MIDI Data and turn it into audible soundfont samples, so why does the whole VMS synth stutter whenever the MIDI Player lags?  Is this a BassMIDI library flaw?

- Main laptop: Sager NP4658, Intel i7-4810MQ, 2*8GB DDR3 (PC3-10700), 512GB+512GB SSDs, Intel HD4600/NVidia GT840M

Ray890 wrote:

PS:  A thought just came across my mind: It is my understanding that VirtualMIDISynth is supposed to simply pick up MIDI Data and turn it into audible soundfont samples, so why does the whole VMS synth stutter whenever the MIDI Player lags?  Is this a BassMIDI library flaw?

Oh scratch that.  I did further testing and realized that this exact issue seems to be fixed in 2.x (possibly alpha7)

- Main laptop: Sager NP4658, Intel i7-4810MQ, 2*8GB DDR3 (PC3-10700), 512GB+512GB SSDs, Intel HD4600/NVidia GT840M

Ray890 wrote:
Ray890 wrote:

Why does the whole VMS synth stutter whenever the MIDI Player lags?  Is this a BassMIDI library flaw?

Oh scratch that.  I did further testing and realized that this exact issue seems to be fixed in 2.x (possibly alpha7)

Sorry, spoke too soon, false call.  Even further testing proved this is actually still is the case, the effect just turns out to be conditional to MIDI and/or setup used it seems.

An sample of this is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByIDTUMUvYUWTnNRMzdhNkNzSms&authuser=0

• In that audio clip, I opened "Bad Apple 3.5" in PFA/Piano From Above, and when the lag came, the PFA exceeded cpu thread usage was 100% (25% shown in task manager) and the VMS thread is varying around ~50% usage (~13% in task manager).  
    Piano From Above was the obvious performance bottleneck, not the synth, yet VMS stuttered anyway.  The same midi only lags/stutters for about 0.5 seconds at the same spot when played in vanbasco's player.

Ray890 wrote:
However, this build triggers "Version mismatch between client (1.999.999.9) and server (1.999.999.8)" on "MPC-HC 1.7.8 x64" and "TMIDI64" (private program), which seems to be related to launching on 64-bit programs.  However the MIDITrail 1.2.1b I have seems to be a 64-bit program too, yet doesn't trigger this error.

I've run into this a couple of times while upgrading now.  It seems to be an issue with the installer, not the program itself.  Solving it is a little bit of a nuisance but not hard: uninstall the previous alpha completely, restart, and then install the new version.  Should fix it right up whether your playback software is 64-bit or 32-bit.

Ray890 wrote:
It is my understanding that VirtualMIDISynth is supposed to simply pick up MIDI Data and turn it into audible soundfont samples, so why does the whole VMS synth stutter whenever the MIDI Player lags?  Is this a BassMIDI library flaw?

There's a subtle difference between a MIDI file and a MIDI stream: MIDI file contains informations about which notes must be played and when they must be played, with some kind of timestamp for each event.
A MIDI stream is just a sequense of MIDI messages, outputted at the time they must be executed/played.

A MIDI player reads a MIDI file and, with an internal timebase, decides when to output the MIDI events to the configured MIDI out; VirtualMIDISynth is the MIDI out, so it executes/plays the received MIDI events as fast as it can.
So, if the player stutters you'll hear stuttered playback; if VirtualMIDISyth stutters you'll hear stuttered playback.
If both of them stutter... you're in trouble ;)
Anyway I'll test the sample you sent.

Ray890 wrote:
this build triggers "Version mismatch between client (1.999.999.9) and server (1.999.999.8)"
Thalyn wrote:
It seems to be an issue with the installer, not the program itself.

That version check was added to avoid having unaligned driver_x86, driver_x64 and synth versions.
The root problem is that the installer (NSIS) is a 32bit application thus it cannot test if a 64bit DLL is in use.
Will investigate on this.

coolsoft wrote:
Ray890 wrote:
It is my understanding that VirtualMIDISynth is supposed to simply pick up MIDI Data and turn it into audible soundfont samples, so why does the whole VMS synth stutter whenever the MIDI Player lags?  Is this a BassMIDI library flaw?

There's a subtle difference between a MIDI file and a MIDI stream: MIDI file contains informations about which notes must be played and when they must be played, with some kind of timestamp for each event.

If both of them stutter... you're in trouble ;)
Anyway I'll test the sample you sent.

Here's the Bad Apple 3.5 MIDI which I used, above link was just a sound sample of the happening: www.mediafire.com/?0vnaumtwjyipcnu

Again, the MIDI player (Piano From Above) showed 25% CPU usage in task manager, meaning the rendering-thread was filled at 100%, while VMS only had around 13% or about 50% thread usage, yet the synth stutters anyway.  I expected results like how how the Necrofantasia 3.3 MIDI sounds at lag point on the same program as it somehow doesn't have this problem (or my piano-synth), where the synth is still stable and recieving notes that it can even from the lagging source, but the MIDI Player is sending data at a slower rate due to lag and the song appears slower.

CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha10 released

Alpha 10 is out; here's a list of changes:

v.2.0.0-alpha10 - 2015-03-19
- NEW: Setup now detects processes locking x64 version of the driver.
- NEW: Mixer window open/close status is now preserved between instances.
       Removed option to automatically open mixer, now useless.
- NEW: Added context menu to mixer to allow quick mute/unmute/reset of channels.
- FIX: Added support for softwares using more than one device
       per driver instance (like Reaper).
- FIX: Options with UpDown controls now working again (alpha9 regression).
- FIX: MIDI default device selection (alpha9 regression).
- FIX: Mixers show wrong volume level (VUMeter was shared between devices).
- FIX: Resize issues of Configurator tabs and "Additional buffer" option.

Please test it and report bugs here.

Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha10 released

Nice release, there is small error with naming on Midi Mixers (right click on the tray icon), there is 0 instead #1 ;-)

I think next release should be a solid BETA1 ;-)

One small option I would like to request...

Ability to start VirtualMIDISynth automaticaly with Windows and put it on the tray.

And realy something small... credits/about TAB ;-)

You know, short info about program, autor, maybe some credits to translators, etc. :P

I'll keep testing and post if I find something buggy. ;-)

Thanks for fixing my submitted bugs. :)

Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha10 released

I un-installed Alpha9, then installed Alpha10, with nothing else running, even teamviewer (I don't understand why Teamviewer always "locks" the VMS driver anyway, I already passed teamviewer support email about it and they said they had no idea).  Once I got alpha 10 configured, I found that it worked on 32-bit synths, but it still doesn't work on 64-bit synths (such as PianoFromAbove and tmidi64).

Pagine