VirtualMIDISynth 2.x alpha available for testing

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha11 released

Erm, I mean 1.13.0 ;-)

Critical bug that need to be fixed ASAP

VirtualMIDISynth alpha11 is causing a crash of TeamSpeak3 Client x64 v3.0.16 on launch.

x32 client is not affected.

supergod wrote:
Critical bug that need to be fixed ASAP
VirtualMIDISynth alpha11 is causing a crash of TeamSpeak3 Client x64 v3.0.16 on launch.
x32 client is not affected.

Is it freely available or not? Website is not so clear about it...

supergod wrote:
Erm, I mean 1.13.0 ;-)

Next release will ba alpha12, VMS 1.x is completely unrelated.

supergod wrote:
VirtualMIDISynth Alpha11 - BUGS video submitted.

I saw it, thanks. Will reply privately as usual...

coolsoft wrote:
Is it freely available or not? Website is not so clear about it...

Client is absolutely FREE ;-)
Probably millions peoples around the globe are using it :)

It is a regression from alpha10
http://dl.4players.de/ts/releases/3.0.16/TeamSpeak3-Client-win64-3.0.16.exe

wingo wrote:
I might suggest that if VMS is running and one attempts to run it agan, the configurator might be queued instead.

That's a good suggestion, I've added it to next Alpha12; if an instance is already running, the configuration dialog will be opened.
Thanks for posting it.

wingo wrote:
on the first opening of Encore I got the message Synth Server Error 2 (not running)

Yes, it's a timeout waiting for the synth to start; will increase it.

I've encountered a particularly nasty issue with A11 - one which I'm confused as it seems like it would affect many more people, yet I've not seen it reported (perhaps for the same reason I didn't, but I'll explain why shortly).

For some reason, A11 plays up big-time with the audio functions of Win8.1 with the latest important and optional updates installed.  The three most noticeable issues being that any attempt by the UAC permissions elevation prompt to make a sound it brings up an error stating that "The extended attributes are inconsistent.", trying to preview a sound in the Sounds control panel causes Windows Shell Common Dll to perform an APPCRASH (VirtualMIDISynth.dll is cited as the Fault Module Name), and PotPlayer (my media player of choice) seems to ignore all input when watching a video - even one which doesn't involve MIDI playback at all - to the point where it has to be force-closed (though playback will continue happily).  There are possibly other issues as well but these are the ones most obivous to me.

I have attempted - twice - to fully uninstall and reinstall A11.  Both times the same results were seen.  Rolling back to A10, none of the issues were present.  Installing A11 over the top restored the aforementioned issues.

As to how I didn't notice it earlier?  It turns out I had some kind of hybrid installation of A9 and A11.  I have no idea how I did it, but I managed to install A11 on top of A10 (which was itself installed over A9) and have the configuration window still declaring itself as A9.  I was actually about to report another issue I had found when I noticed this, performed the full re-install and encountered the new problems.  Curiously, though, this did fix the other issue I was going to report (which is thankfully also not present in a "pure" A10 install).

In case it's in any way relevant, I'm using Win8.1 Pro x64 with a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Z, driver 13.1.0.28.  SoundFont in use is irrelevant as the issues would occur without having one loaded, nor was it required to have output configured to one of the VirtualMIDISynth devices.

A11 has a pointer overflow that causes unpredictable behaviours only on x64 builds on Win8.x.

It was first reported by supergod: he sent me some core dumps of a software crash he was experiencing on his PC.
Sadly that bug can cause unpredictable crashes (on x64) so you're experiencing one of them: Windows core loading VirtualMIDISynth.dll (x64) while initializing the UAC dialog sound selector.

Now the bug is fixed and Alpha13 will came out shortly (hope this night).

As for the mixed setup (A9/10/11), that's really strange because driver and synth will check each other versions before start and refuse to run if they mismatch.

Anyway, Alpha12 will lead a lot of new features and bug fixes so... let's start from that.

CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha12 released

Alpha12 was just released, with a lot of new features and bug fixes.
I hope I could release alphas more frequently from now on, avoid packing so much new features and fixes in a single shot... anyway, that's life ;)

v.2.0.0-alpha12 - 2015-04-11

• NEW: Changed MIDI device name to a shortest form: "VirtualMIDISynth #x" instead of "CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth (#x)" to make it easily recognizable in clients with short dialog controls (like some game emulators).
  • NEW: Added soundfont bank/preset support: double click on soundfont list items to set.
  • NEW: Soundfont preload is not a global option anymore; it is now an option of each soundfont.
  • NEW: Starting another instance of synth won't show the error message "Another instance is already running..." anymore; existing instance will now open its configurator dialog.
  • FIX: Fixed crashes in x64 build, causing some x64 softwares (like TeamSpeak Client 3 and possibly other x64 MIDI players) to crash under Win8.1.
  • FIX: Fixed wrong soundfont device assignment under some circumstances.
  • FIX: Fixed watchdog implementation, rewritten from scratch.
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha12 released

There is still a device mismatch when there is only one bank active.

I think I founded more bugs...

Videos coming ASAP

Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha12 released

So far, Alpha12 seems to be reliable for me.

I recently have posted a topic in the Un4Seen forums to see whether Ian could reduce the amount of stuttering that is present when playing Black MIDI files involving rapid generation of voices, and he ended up finding a way with v2.4.9.8 and it's working very well, so it'd be appreciated if you update bassmidi.dll in the next update.

Speaking of performance, I've done an analysis and comparision of how Alpha12 currently affects bottleneck/lag time in PianoFromAbove and found that it seems to keep PFA just a slight bit longer than the latest v1 counterpart:

VirtualMIDISynth 1.13.0 - Piano From Above performance comparision
VirtualMIDISynth v2 Alpha12 - Piano From Above performance comparision

Also there's this bug I've noticed for a while but forgot to mention: Occasionally when VirtualMIDISynth lags due to a sudden spike in CPU usage (for example in black midis such as bad apple 5.1 million), the synth just decides to "give up" and stop playing until VMS is closed and re-opened.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES8qdtQ3_Yk

- Main laptop: Sager NP4658, Intel i7-4810MQ, 2*8GB DDR3 (PC3-10700), 512GB+512GB SSDs, Intel HD4600/NVidia GT840M

Pagine