VirtualMIDISynth 2.x alpha available for testing

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha19 released

Couple bugs for alpha 19:

• SONAR isn't recognizing VMS as a MIDI device
  • Error 37 while preloading FluidR3 GS soundfont (SF2 format)
  • Occasional drv.error.bass_load (?) or something like that, not sure what's causing it and it's not very consistant. Will keep trying after some sleep and see if I can get it to keep happening.

--

CTMiner

Using: Windows 10, Cakewalk SONAR, VB-Cable, VanBasco Player

CTMiner wrote:

• Occasional drv.error.bass_load (?) or something like that, not sure what's causing it and it's not very consistant. Will keep trying after some sleep and see if I can get it to keep happening.

"Error while loading BASS library" - when VMS started right after restarting computer

SONAR error likely due to VMS reporting error I think (?) (not entirely sure)

--

CTMiner

CTMiner wrote:

SONAR audio cards are known to have problems with MIDI devices, that's why I don't use them anymore. (I use Realtek integrated audio cards, or SoundBlasters)

Anyway, Ian just released an update of the BASSMIDI library, by adding an opcode from the SFZ 2.0 format, you should update VMS too! http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=16673.0

KaleidonKep99 wrote:
CTMiner wrote:

SONAR audio cards are known to have problems with MIDI devices, that's why I don't use them anymore. (I use Realtek integrated audio cards, or SoundBlasters)

Anyway, Ian just released an update of the BASSMIDI library, by adding an opcode from the SFZ 2.0 format, you should update VMS too! http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=16673.0

Cakewalk SONAR Artist, the program. Not referring to the audio card here

--

CTMiner

CTMiner wrote:

Cakewalk SONAR Artist, the program. Not referring to the audio card here

Ops, my bad

Bug #1: Latency is about 0.5 seconds in v2.0.0-alpha19.
Is there anything I can do about that? In v.1, it was possible to reduce latency by reducing a buffer size in the options. That option seems no longer to be there.
Maybe there's a more informative way to report latency? (See Rendering time below?)

Bug #2: Scrolling the window (score) being played by VMS upsets the sound. The process responsible for scrolling seems to be overriding the process playing the sound (Or maybe they are the same process?? -- see Bug #3).

Bug #3: I've sometimes been getting "Process already in use" error dialogs from VMS. These are a bit difficult to reproduce. They don't seem to affect VMS at all. I can continue without any apparent problem, just by clicking OK.

VMS v.1 is not working properly in Windows 10, but I don't want to go back to Windows 7 and 8.1.
I'd rather help you get v. 2 working properly everywhere. :-)

---

My Config/About says:

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) (10.0.10240)
VMS 2.0.0-alpha19
Memory (MB): total 6135, free 3614 (59%)
Available devices: 1
* VirtualMIDISynth #1:
Active voices: 0
Rendering time: 0%
Update rate (ms): 0

Attachments (Only registered users)
Coolsoft error.png

http://james-ingram-act-two.de/

notator wrote:

Bug #3: I've sometimes been getting "Process [chrome.exe] already in use" error dialogs from VMS. These are a bit difficult to reproduce. They don't seem to affect VMS at all. I can continue without any apparent problem, just by clicking OK.

This is caused by a bug in google chrome itself on Windows; once you visit a Web MIDI powered website, chrome decides to hog every MIDI Input and Output port infinitely until all chrome.exe processes are closed.  I've already opened a bug ticket for this, feel free to give it a vote/star: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=497573

- Main laptop: Sager NP4658, Intel i7-4810MQ, 2*8GB DDR3 (PC3-10700), 512GB+512GB SSDs, Intel HD4600/NVidia GT840M

CTMiner wrote:
SONAR isn't recognizing VMS as a MIDI device
Take a look here.

Re my Bug #3:
@Ray890

I've starred https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=497573 of course. :-)

I don't think that bug is the same as mine though:
VMS is giving me "Device VirtualMIDISynth #1 is already in use by Process [chrome.exe]..." messages even when I know that, and don't need to be told:

1. load a Web MIDI website, and select the input and output devices: a MIDI keyboard (that is switched on), and "VirtualMIDISynth #1".
(Chrome finds both the keyboard and the VMS.)
2. Switch the keyboard (input device) off. VMS reports that it, the output device (!), is already in use.
3. Dismiss VMS's message. Sometimes 'OK' has to be clicked more than once.
4. Switch the keyboard on again.  VMS again reports that it, the output device (!), is already in use.
(Maybe this only happens because the live attachment of input devices is implemented on this web page.)
5. Dismiss VMS's message.  Sometimes 'OK' has to be clicked more than once.
6. GOTO 2.

I think the "already in use" message has also appeared (unexpectedly) in other situations as well. If I can make it reproducible, I'll let you know.

http://james-ingram-act-two.de/

notator wrote:

VMS is giving me "Device VirtualMIDISynth #1 is already in use by Process [chrome.exe]..." messages even when I know that, and don't need to be told:

[...]

Sometimes 'OK' has to be clicked more than once.

I've seen this happen to me too, but only with chrome.  In that case, my theory is that their Web MIDI engine is so glitchy on Windows that it attempts to re-open MIDI ports more than once mid-session, thus causing multiple and several 'process already in use' messages in a row.

- Main laptop: Sager NP4658, Intel i7-4810MQ, 2*8GB DDR3 (PC3-10700), 512GB+512GB SSDs, Intel HD4600/NVidia GT840M

Pagine