Configure "Snap to edge"

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Configure "Snap to edge"

VMS config and mixer windows snap to not only the screen edge but also all window edges, which is very convenient. However, they would snap to window edges regardless of whether they are in the front (i.e. not behind any other window) or in the back. Sometimes the window just snaps to nothing and I have to think a while before I realize what it was snapping to.

Therefore, it would be very nice if you can make it only snap to windows in the front; or maybe just add an option to turn off snapping completely.

Or what, the windows are just invisible to everyone who was unfit for the office he held, or who was extraordinarily simple in character, like me? :(

Re: Configure "Snap to edge"
amiboss wrote:
Therefore, it would be very nice if you can make it only snap to windows in the front

Yes, I've seen that the potential snap target windows list should be filtered a bit...

amiboss wrote:
or maybe just add an option to turn off snapping completely

That's already available: moving the window with SHIFT key pressed will disable snapping.
(SHIFT+drag combination is some kind of accepted convention).

amiboss wrote:
Sometimes the window just snaps to nothing and I have to think a while before I realize what it was snapping to.

You're right, and I've already noticed it.

Starting from Windows Vista, Microsoft added a new layer (DWM/Aero) in desktop rendering.
Up to Windows 7 it hasn't introduced so many differences in non-client area drawing (window title, borders and title bar buttons).
The nightmare started with Windows 10, when a transparent border was added to all windows (and it's not reported correctly calling GetWindowRect()); in Win10 you see a very thin border (that gives the modern flat look), but the "real" border is 8 pixels wide: 1 visible and 7 transparents. This helps users in dragging the border to resize window, but it's a nightmare for window placement.

Will have a look...

coolsoft wrote:

That's already available: moving the window with SHIFT key pressed will disable snapping.
    (SHIFT+drag combination is some kind of accepted convention).

I know there're conventions in, for example, painting programs, that allows me to move things freely without snapping, but I just had little experience working with window border snapping. Thanks for the info.

By the way, the hybrid auth of the site seems broken. When I click the Google login icon it tells me:

Google login popup wrote:

400. That’s an error.

Error: redirect_uri_mismatch

The redirect URI in the request, https://coolsoft.altervista.org/hybridauth/endpoint?hauth.done=Google, does not match the ones authorized for the OAuth client. Visit https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials/oauthclient/29363... to update the authorized redirect URIs.

Is there a problem in the site or it's my own problem?

(I'm posting this with the password reset link, but I can't find the option to change password, maybe because I first logged in with Google? By the way I'm in China where Google is blocked so I'm using a proxy to browse the internet.)

amiboss wrote:
By the way, the hybrid auth of the site seems broken.
Is there a problem in the site or it's my own problem?

Ooops, I recently switched from http:// to https:// and forgot to add the "s" version to authorized URLs on Google.
Now fixed, thanks for reporting it.

amiboss wrote:
(I'm posting this with the password reset link, but I can't find the option to change password, maybe because I first logged in with Google?

Right, pure oAuth accounts (like Google) cannot change their password because... they don't have one ;)
They log in with an authorization key released by Google (or GitHub, LinkedIn) that expires when the session ends.

Here's a preview of the new version including improved snap feature and option to enable/disable it permanently (in addition to the SHIFT key press).

Please confirm if the reported bug is fixed...

UPDATE: attachment removed, newer one below...

coolsoft wrote:

Here's a preview of the new version including improved snap feature and option to enable/disable it permanently (in addition to the SHIFT key press).

Please confirm if the reported bug is fixed...

Thank you for the fast response. The switch works fine.

So there is the last problem:

In 2.png the window still snaps to Task Manager which is at the position shown in 1.png. That's very confusing. Is there any way to solve this?

Attachments (Only registered users)
1.PNG
2.PNG

This should fix the issue of visible windows (not minimized nor hidden) but fully/partially overlapped by other ones.
Now at least one of the window corners must be really visible to let its corresponding borders be a valid snap target.

Please check it out and report if it's ok.

CoolSoft_VirtualMIDISynth_2.2.0-snap2.zip
coolsoft wrote:

This should fix the issue of visible windows (not minimized nor hidden) but fully/partially overlapped by other ones.
Now at least one of the window corners must be really visible to let its corresponding borders be a valid snap target.

Please check it out and report if it's ok.

I opened an Explorer, a Taskmgr and an MPC-HC window and just had a quick test. Generally it worked fine, but with the layout shown in Untitled.png, SOMETIMES(I didn't figure out a condition), the Mixer does not snap to the MPC-HC window.

Untitled.png

I suppose WMP is painting its client area in a non-standard way, so that small slice at bottom (maybe) is not considered as part of the window.
Anyway I'm just supposing, since I can't reproduce it on my side...

Starting with Vista and DWM (Desktop Window Manager) window layer management is a nightmare ;)