dumb? question: how does one enter a comment for an Acrobat PDF?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
dumb? question: how does one enter a comment for an Acrobat PDF?

Win 10, Acrobat DC 2018 local install of cloud version.

Latest production ver of windows 10.

I know where to enter comments for word and excel, but where to do that for pdfs so the comment displays in File Explorer comment column without opening file?

Re: dumb? question: how does one enter a comment for an Acrobat PDF?

Word and Excel have a Read-Write Explorer Extension (wrote by Microsoft itself) that also allows changing existing files metadata (properties).

Most of other extensions, like PDFPropertyExtension, are Read-Only: they can only show existing properties but cannot change/add/remove them.
Sorry for this, but editing/changing an existing PDF file is far more complicated that parsing it and extracting contained info.

I think the only way you have to edit/add comments is to use a dedicated editor, like Acrobat (not the reader but the full version) or other Free/OpenSource editors.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I was having difficulty finding where in Adobe Acrobat Pro to do this.

Go to File > Properties

There are 6 different tabs: Description, Security, Fonts, Initial View, Custom, Advanced.

Choose Custom.

Then, type the column name from Windows Explorer in the "name" field and type the comment you wish to add to the file in the "value" field.  Click "add" and then "ok."  Save the file and then the comment will show up in Windows Explorer :)

Click, or click and drag, on a PDF document page to create a note. Type yourcomments in the box created by the tool. Choose the Highlight tool from the Annotations panel. Click and drag through a stretch of text to apply a bright yellow background over it, similar to the appearance of a highlighter pen. Specific info : https://docsbay.net/how-to-add-comments-to-a-pdf-with-acrobat-reader Hopefully it helps!

I have been searching around for a tool, hopefully free, to actually modify PDF metadata (Author, Title, Subject, Keywords, etc.) and I was not very successful. The very few I found did not work reliably, were outdated or could only change some of the metadata. One tool allowed me to change the Author or Title, but changed the Producer and Creator to its own name!

I did, however, managed to find something that works pretty well. It is a command line tool (for the "C:\>" prompt), but although it was scary at first and it made me feel like a hacker typing cryptic commands in white letters on a black background, changing metadata was pretty easy after all. The tool is called ExifTool. It can be downloaded for free from https://exiftool.org/. Download it and copy the executable "exiftool(-k).exe" in a folder that is in your "path". In my case, I simply added it to "C:\Windows". Rename the tool to "exiftool.exe" (that is, without the "(-k)").

To view the metadata, open a command prompt in the folder where your PDF file is located and type the following command:

exiftool somepdf.pdf

If the PDF filename contains spaces, surround the filename with quotation marks as in "some pdf file.pdf".

To modify the metadata, for example the Title, type the following command:

exiftool -Title="My new title" somefile.pdf

That's it, I hope it helps.