Expand MIDI Converter's functionality

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: Expand MIDI Converter's functionality
coolsoft wrote:
OliverB wrote:
2. A variable like the filename, that can be used in the extended encoder settings. So you can write the correct mp3 tag for each file.

This is something I haven't thought at all, but I'm sure it could be easily added.

Need to step back a bit about my first thought.
While planning how to implement this feature I've wrote some points:

1. outputted %filename% placeholder with the filename (no path, no ext) of the MIDI file, then added -tt %filename% to the command line.
    Well, it worked, but it seemed to me half-done because... what about the Artist tag?
  2. my personal MIDI collection is splitted in folders, like ArtistName\SongName.mid.
    So the artist could be extracted from directory name but wait... which level of directory tree should we consider? Should be the one immediately before filename or an higher one?
    Let's go on with some placeholders like %dirName1%, %dirName2%, ... which represent the directory levels (a little bit rough but it could work)...
  3. some of my files also were in an Others folder, named like ArtistName - SongName.mid or ArtistName_SongName.mid with any kind of separators in between :(

In short, tag extraction from filename should be completely customizable and have a full lot of options available, otherwise it will always be an half-done work...
Another way could be add a scripting engine to VMS converter (JavaScript, LUA, Python, ...); this way user could write his own custom script to extract data from filename but, sadly, that's a huge lot of work.

That's why I'd like to suggest you (and others looking for this feature) to have a look at Mp3Tag (https://www.mp3tag.de/en/).
You can also find portable versions around.

It's a great (and free) utility to manage multimedia files tags; it can extract tags from filename (filenames --> tags) using rules, filters, regular expressions, and viceversa (tags --> filenames).
Being so specific about tags (and full of features), I think I'll never be able to let VMS reach its completeness ;)

Mhm, you are right and wrong. Because the easy option to use the filename is the biggest part and works for 80% 

I know Mp3 Tagger, yes. With this thing it is easy to rename the files. But when you convert a bunch of files, you have to do two steps instead of one, when the songname is the only thing you need. Aaaand :) the midis are not from artist xy, they are mostly from an company reproduced "In the style of xy" ;)

OliverB wrote:
Mhm, you are right and wrong. Because the easy option to use the filename is the biggest part and works for 80%

I agree and, since I'd like to reuse the (partial) work I've already done, I thought this could be an acceptable compromise: VMS converter will automatically add the --tt parameter with the filename (no path and ext).
It will also add the --tc parameter (comment) with something like "Converted with VrtualMIDISynth".
Anyway, I'd like to let the user prevent/change the addition by specifying their own comment text.

I'm going to start a beta test for 2.8 version, since it will include a lot of changes both in MIDI converter and in VMS core; these changes will be in first beta1 release.

I'll notify here when it'll be available...

Thanks for your good work :)

Version 2.8 beta thread started here: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/834

Please subscribe to that thread and report any issue there.

PS: tag support will be improved in next beta2. Actual tags are fixed and not changeable by the user...

hello,

please add an option to select a folder to save the output files =)

thanks!

coprofago wrote:
please add an option to select a folder to save the output files =)

Not so easy, because source file list could contain files from different directories with the same name.
Outputting all destination files to the same directory could lead to duplicate names issues...
Why don't you select them all in a shot using Windows Search (i.e.: *.mp3)?

PS: do not hijack existing threads with different topics, start a new one instead.

Pagine