VirtualMIDISynth 2.9.0 beta

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

VirtualMIDISynth 2.9.0 beta

This thread will contain next VirtualMIDISynth 2.9.0 version beta/RC releases.

PLEASE POST BUG REPORTS OF BETA VERSION IN THIS THREAD, DO NOT START NEW ONES ;)

v.2.9.0-beta5 - 2020-03-20

• FIX: Fixed MIDI Converter output directory check.

v.2.9.0-beta4 - 2020-03-15

• NEW: Replaced MIDI Converter files ListBox with a ListView.
  • NEW: MIDI Converter files list is now preserved after conversion.
  • FIX: Improved handling of existing output files.

v.2.9.0-beta3 - 2020-03-08

• NEW: New MIDI Converter feature to allow output folder selection.
  • NEW: Output folder has been removed from MIDI Converter source files list.
  • NEW: Added new "Reset key" button to MIDI Converter.

v.2.9.0-beta2 - 2020-02-18

• NEW: MIDI Controller Key change feature is now a per file setting.
  • NEW: MIDI Controller window can now be maximized.
  • FIX: Soundfont list import wrongly append its content to existing list.
  • FIX: When importing a soundfont list, its content is applied immediately instead of waiting Apply button press.

v.2.9.0-beta1 - 2020-01-26

• NEW: Added Key change feature to MIDI Converter.
  • NEW: Added watermark on soundfont list and MIDI Converter files list to remember user that files could also be dropped from Windows Explorer.
  • NEW: Added tooltips to Soundfonts and MIDI Converter list buttons.
  • FIX: Changed color of Soundfont LEDs to make them colorblind friendly.
  • FIX: Setup doesn't show "Close process" option for some processes in "Locking processes" dialog.
Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.9.0 beta

Key change feature to MIDI Converter should be possible for each file in list.

Please have a look at:

https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/852

Thank you.

Ok, everything works except for one odd thing, when you load a soundfont list file it doesn't update the list until you close and reopen the configurator window

if you load it several times it puts the same soundfonts repeated (that might be intentional though), if you press apply before reopening the configurator list it will not load the soundfont list at all, so you need to load the list, reopen config windows and then finally hit apply (I was gonna upload a gif but gfycat refused to encode it)

Also I got 1 crash while scrolling on the soundfont list just after loading a soundfont list file

Cheers

Anonimo_LLopi wrote:
when you load a soundfont list file it doesn't update the list until you close and reopen the configurator window

Thanks for reporting it.
The import button wrongly updates the current configuration instead of the temporary one (that will be active once you press Apply).
Since the SoundFont listbox is linked to that temporary config, that's why you don't immediately see the loaded list.

Fixed in beta2 ;)

Anonimo_LLopi wrote:
Also I got 1 crash while scrolling on the soundfont list just after loading a soundfont list file

Should be related to the temporary config unexpectedly becoming empty... now fixed ;)

Hi, when will you release beta 2, are you adding something big?

Cheers

I've fixed the bugs reported by you and ...

Anonimo_LLopi wrote:
...are you adding something big?

Well, not so big but something I've lately found out requires a lot of work ;) like per-file key change, as suggested by @syryo.

Implementing the code for it was almost easy, but the UI required a lot of changes:

• customize the MIDI files listbox to show the key change value of each file
    we're in the pure C++ Win32 world here, so each customization to UI elements is a nightmare...
  • extend the .vmsmcfl (MIDI Converter file list) to store the key value of each file
    new file format should be "extendable" to be ready when I'll add new per-file settings

To be honest I still don't think that key change should be a per-file setting because:

• I think most of the users don't change key of their files (but this is only a feeling, I don't have any statistics on it)
  • the ones that do, hardly do without some trial-and-error (in this case a single shared setting should be better)
  • I've implemented a new UI (see the attached image), but it seems much more complicated to me (and I haven't received any better suggestion):
    after adding a file (or more files), user must now select some or all of them (ok, CTRL+A is now supported) and change the key (each time you add a file, it will be added with a +0 key change)

I'll release an update tomorrow and will wait for feedbacks and suggestions about the new UI, to decide if it will land to final version or not ;)

Attachments (Only registered users)
MIDI_Converter_2020-02-16.png

I can imagine how hard is to code UI in a language like C++. If possible, I would suggest to isolate and code UI in a easier language like Visual C, for instance.
File and key could then be added direclty in the list but your current approach can do the job.

About the need to have a key for each file you can ask singers that have a large repertoire.

Thnak you for considering my request :)

syryo wrote:
...suggest to isolate and code UI in a easier language like Visual C, for instance...

Sure, I actually use Visual C++ 2017 with a really great library like Win32++ from David Nash.
This library almost completely emulates MFC features without the hassle of requiring MS Visual C Runtime and increasing my executable with a lot of MB (VirtualMIDISynth.exe is actually under 1.2MB!).

I know and use a lot of other "easier languages", basically the .NET family; but mixing managed and unmanaged code isn't easy in this case, because the UI is strictly tied to the realtime audio rendering (think about the MIDI Mixer volume sliders and VUMeter...).

Just released version 2.9.0-beta2 (see first post) with changes to MIDI Converter and fixes to Soundfont management.

I'm all ears for suggestions about new UI usability...

How about a button to increase all current midis' on the list key change by 1 and by -1?

Also maybe a reset buton to put them all to key change 0?

And an idea, if you can key change different files why not be able to put the same file several times on the list? that way you could render the same file but with diferents key in one go (maybe add to the end of the name of the file +1 if the key was increased by 1 for example)

Also do we really need to see the path of both the midi file and the wav file? I would shorten that by something like this: C:\test\1.mid --> 1.wav instead of C:\test\1.mid --> C:\test\1.wav

Because when the path it's really long it can save a lot of space: C:\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\1.mid --> 1.wav

instead of: C:\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\1.mid --> C:\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\test\1.wav

or maybe even shorten both like this C:\test\...\test\1.mid --> C:\test\...\test\1.wav, though I prefer the first one that I mentioned

Personally I won't be using the the key change feature much, but who knows, maybe I will use it for something one day, what I WILL be really hyped about is for when you add the 1 midi into 16 individual sound files recordings option thingy ;)

For now I haven't seen any bugs :D

Cheers

Edit: Actually, if you are adding key changes, how about editable tempo in a percentage like in Vanbasco's KP? just an idea, honestly I would probably use it as little as the key change, so if there's no demand don't bother, but who knows if someone actually wants/needs this feature though, this idea came from the whole "the midi converter is like a player thus it should have what midi players have" thingy, you decide if you want to be a completionist about this ;)

Pagine