Problems with Memory due to 'CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth' interference -?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Problems with Memory due to 'CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth' interference -?

Hi: Just recently, this error has started appearing very often as being related ONLY to 'CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth' (see below!): I have NO clue what causes this issue so - do I need to do a CHANGE of any setting/configuration in your 'CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth' so that it does not interfere with Memory (have 2 GIG RAM & Pentium 4 with Windows 7 Home Premium) in my PC ...? In configuration - I've selected 'Start automatically at logon' Option.

ALSO: to explore and select the correct setting/s which would be perhaps (?) MORE appropriate for my PC in view of my similar existing issue above, are there some more detailed guidance/tips how to correctly select the Options in the configuration section - I'm also concerning about some excessive sound glitches which appear more frequently in using 'CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth' with various MIDI-players/Sequencers instead of the terrible MS-MIDIMapper.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Tony H.

Attachments (Only registered users)
Problems with CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth-Image.png
Re: Problems with Memory due to 'CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth' interference -?

Well, Pentium 4 is not actually the best platform to run Win7, and 2GB RAM could only make things worst ;)

I see the OS suggested to close both Thunderbird & VirtualMIDISynth; they could be the 2 processes using more memory when free memory gone under a "safe" level.

VMS memory usage is strictly related to the size of loaded (end enabled) soundfonts.
There's nothing I can do to improve this.
Older versions had an option to load only the needed parts of the soundfont when needed; it was removed because of bad lags introduced when a needed part had to be loaded from disk (and disk IO is not usually not performant on older systems).

On my system I've enabled only the FluidR3_GM.sf2 soundfont (141MB) and Task Manager shows a memory usage of 155MB for VirtualMIDISynth.exe.

I suggest you to configure a smaller soundfont and/or open VMS only when needed, after other memory consuming programs have been closed.

Hi:

Thanks for your advice - this problem has just started quite recently, and I've been using VMS for over 3 years which is pretty strange to me ...?!? I'm planning to upgrade my Windows 7 either to version 8.1 OR 10 - which one would be better to eliminate this Memory-issue with VMS & Thunderbird and would also eliminate/prevent some sound-glitches which appear more frequently in using 'CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth' with various MIDI-players/Sequencers instead of the terrible MS-MIDIMapper ...?

In advance - many thanks for your advice AND do you have some more detailed tips/guidelines regarding VMS CONFIGURATION so that I could perhaps select a setting which might be more appropriate for VMS used with my PC: I'd like to understand better what each of the CONFIGURATION settings is actually accomplishes during VMS performance.

Tony H.

thorsak wrote:
Thanks for your advice - this problem has just started quite recently, and I've been using VMS for over 3 years which is pretty strange to me ...?!?

Well, that Windows dialog - AFAIK - shows the two programs using more memory.
VMS was not changed a lot regarding memory usage, but TB could have been changed (they have a lot more releases than VMS).

thorsak wrote:
I'm planning to upgrade my Windows 7 either to version 8.1 OR 10

Go straight to 10, no doubts. Microsoft is trying to "forget" 8 and 8.1, like they did with Vista (do you remember it?).
I hope your "upgrade" includes hardware too, because a Pentium4 with 2GB is absolutely not able to make Win10 usable.

thorsak wrote:
do you have some more detailed tips/guidelines regarding VMS CONFIGURATION so that I could perhaps select a setting which might be more appropriate for VMS used with my PC

Look at the "MIDI Synthesis" section in VMS configuration. The Disable... options allow to decrease CPU usage (at the expense of lower quality).
Force 8 bit rendering is the best for CPU saving, but really gives worst sound quality.
Do not decrease Output sample rate: this value should be equal to the samples contained in your SF2 file. Setting a lower value causes VMS to "resample" each sample before playing it.

Hi:

Many thanks for your advice.

I stil like to ask you the following: - where do I find the value of 'Output sample rate' in the SF2 ...how do I access it & change the value?

- could I Email you an image of my CVM CONFIGURATION Settings which you could review and advise me how should I change the settings based on my existing problems since I'm not more familiar with the various settings - however, for you it should be very easy to suggest better setting/s for me.

I now will try to attach the image of my CVM CONFIGURATION Settings.

Thanks.

My CVM-Configuration setting image.png

Attached you'll find the "poorest quality" configuration possible.
I've marked the changed values from yours.

You should get the best performances (low CPU usage) together with a very poor quality.
Try it, then revert the changes one-by-one till you find an acceptable setup.

Anyway, again, a Pentium4 with 2GB RAM is not really suitable for suck a task ;)

VMS_low_config.png
Re: A doulble loading of CVM at Windows start-up...

Hi :

Thanks for your reply - I will try some different settings.

However, I'm now getting a diferrent issue with CVM which I've NEVER experienced before: for some reason the CVM is trying to load TVICE during starting the Windows - I can NOT find a way how to STOP it! (yet I have only 1 device selected in the Configuration) ...

Please help - thanks.