VirtualMIDISynth slower in Windows 10

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
VirtualMIDISynth slower in Windows 10

Hello,

I just installed VirtualMIDISynth on a new Windows 10. The lag is quite higher than on my old computer with Windows 7.

I set latency to 1 ms. Also, Sampling frequency to 22050.

Probably the issue is with the new equipment (a Surface + win 10) and not due to Coolsoft, but any other parameter setting to improve latency would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: VirtualMIDISynth slower in Windows 10

I've noticed no latency increase on my Win10 system than I had in the past on my previous (and much slower) Win7 laptop.
I've also upgraded another laptop from Win7 to Win10 (--> same hardware, just upgraded the OS) with no noticeable latency worsening...

Please check the usual things:

• update drivers to the latest version (all of them, not only the sound card ones)
  • disable any "audio effect" provided by the soundcard driver (echo, reverb, equalization, ...)
  • double check if your MIDI Player is set to 0 latency and send MIDI data straight to VirtualMIDISynth

The only thing I can think about is it being slower due to Windows Multimedia on Windows 10.There was already a post somewhere by kaleidonkepp99 about how to solve this issue.

Nguyen 1 wrote:

The only thing I can think about is it being slower due to Windows Multimedia on Windows 10.There was already a post somewhere by kaleidonkepp99 about how to solve this issue.

You're right.
He released a "wrapper" around winmm.dll that could improve its speed and latency.
You can find it here: https://github.com/KeppySoftware/WinMMWRP

BEWARE: only source code was released. The only one binary release is targeted to VMS as a Proof Of Concept... but I've never tried it ;)