Error 41: Can't apply soundfont?

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Error 41: Can't apply soundfont?

So I just downloaded the program, and it seems like it doesn't let me apply soundfonts.

I tried with two different, and neither of them worked.

Each time I tried this appeared:

Error: 41

Description: BASS_ERROR_FILEFORM: The file's format is not recognised/supported

Then it unables the soundfont.

Any help?

Re: Error 41: Can't apply soundfont?

It should be that the samples are somehow compressed with an unsupported codec, like FLAC or MP3.
Actually VMS does not support compressed samples, unless you provide the required BASS decode plugin.
(see here for details: https://www.un4seen.com/doc/#bassmidi/BASS_MIDI_FontInit.html)

Anyway, at first I'll try to load a well known working SF2 like FluidR3_GM or ChoriumRevA (see here for download links).
If they work, then double check that your SF2 file is not corrupted and which codec is needed to decode it.

I'm almost certain you are trying to add soundfonts in the .sfpack format. I dunno if VirtualMIDISynth can handle compressed files, but unpacking them into .sf2 format works for me. Takes more space but is less of an headache. Use the SFPACK program to uncompress. Run it as admin so it registers the .dll it comes with. http://www.synthfont.com/SFPACK.zip

Dear developer,

The site you are linking for FluidR3_GM it now contains only FluidR3_GM.sfArk, not .sf2 version and it is not working (same error in first post).

Here is a link to correct version:

https://github.com/urish/cinto/blob/master/media/FluidR3%20GM.sf2

Karol Mihalko wrote:
The site you are linking for FluidR3_GM it now contains only FluidR3_GM.sfArk.

Added your additional link to the list, thanks.

Hi I have just installed VirtualMIDISynth latest version on Window 10. I have used older versions before with the application Van Basco and the sound font - Crisis General Midi v3.01.rar which worked fine although this is a very big file. Unfortunately having to move to windows 10 on a new laptop this sound font will not load onto virtual midi giving the error code 41. What has changed to make this incompatable and can it be corrected.

LeeMark wrote:
this sound font will not load onto virtual midi giving the error code 41

BASS_ERROR_FILEFORM is a generic error returned by BASS (the underlying library used by VMS to synthesize MIDI) when something is not correct in the file being loaded.

It could be returned in some different situations:

• file format is not correct (i.e. it's packed in some form, as happened above)
  • file can't be opened (permission issues) or found (i.e. it's on a network share)

Just tried on my side that same soundfont (I really like it, even if it's a bit... "oversized"), and it loads without issues.

These are the checksums of my .sf2 file, please compare them with yours:

Filename: CrisisGeneralMidi3.01.sf2
SHA1:     57946F442629725EC6B649ED23FFA5F0D76FF8D2
SHA256:   BB76FEC91D031F720D585A2879DC856506FFDDC7BA8E91CAAC259C763F5A00DE

Hi I notice that Your file ends *.sf2 were as mine ends *.rar I downloaded it from you web site being directed to Emu - France have i downloaded the wrong file??

You've followed the right link and downloaded the right file but... you need to extract (decompress) it.

.RAR is a compressed archive (like .zip or .7z).

The .sf2 soundfont file is "contained" into the RAR archive.

I suggest you to open the RAR archive with 7-zip (which is great and free) and extract the contained sf2 file, then load the sf2 file into VMS.