VirtualMIDISynth 2.x - Release Candidate 2 released

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: VirtualMIDISynth 2.x - Beta3 released
Cid wrote:

The phenomen now is: can't get work, that VMS plays with Asio together.
When I close SONAR and start it again I get "Error opening MIDI stream - Error code: 4"

I've had bad experiences with ASIO4ALL too on my side, when I tried to add ASIO support to VMS2.
Error code 4 is not supposed to appear there, but it means BASS_ERROR_BUFLOST: The sample buffer was lost.

As far as I remember it has an option to open the device in shared/exclusive mode. The latter will prevent any other program to initialize the device, so it becomes invisible to any other non-ASIO program.
Try to switch it to shared (I don't remember the exact name of this option).

Cid wrote:

*** HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\MIDIMap ***
Error reading registry key

*** HKCU\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum\{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device ***
Error reading registry key

The key MIDIMap does not exist, what should there be ????

That's normal on Windows8 and newer, because of the missing MIDIMapper.
Will change these messages to something more clear...

Here's the video of the "slow down problem": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R31M9Pqd-mg&feature=youtu.be

Ray890 wrote:
I've already filed a bug report, feel free to star the topic if you haven't already done so, because I'd like to see this fixed too.  https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=497573

I starred your Chrome bug some time ago, and have now written there with some further info about timing problems related to leaving tabs. I'm not sure that that's what your thread was originally about. We'll see..

However, I don't think the bug I was thinking about here is related to yours, so I've filed a new Chrome bug at
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=580522&thanks=580522&ts=1453468484

I'm only using VMS with Chrome, so disabling it is not an option for me.

Coolsoft said (about the Additional Buffer setting)

coolsoft wrote:
It seems to me that trial and error is the only way to go.

Fine! I'm now down to Additional Buffer = 10. Will leave it there for a few days to see if performance starts stuttering again. I haven't got round to  testing to see if latency is a real problem. There again, we'll see... 

http://james-ingram-act-two.de/

hello! i'm trying this beta now, so far i'm very impressed with what has been done so far.

i have some feedback and a couple of requests, here's my scenario: i'm looking to replace a physical 4-expander MIDI stack with something similar to what you're creating here, which once again is something completely unique. the stack is as follows:

vanbasco -> midi-yoke -> midi-OX -> MOTU micro lite via USB -> expanders -> mixers.

this is a little convoluted, and i'd love one day to retire this configuration in favor of your program. there is just one thing that i can think i'd miss from this: right now, i'm able to control individual output volumes via mixer, it would be neat to have maybe a simplified mixing panel that shows only volume/pan-pot levels for active soundfont instances (perhaps in addition to the return of the good old multitrack mixer? :)

it would also be cool if we could do without midi yoke/ox at all and have an internal port that routes midi to all soundfont instances without extra software (as in: vanbasco -> virtualmidisynth input -> internal multi-out), is it possible?

one last thing that would be awesome is some more possible virtual MIDI devices, like 8 or 10, can this be done?

do keep up the good work, i'll be eager to try any new betas and look forward to a version suitable for live use!

You might be interested to read
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=580522&thanks=580522...

Chrome has quite reasonably classed this as a P3 (low priority) bug.  It seems they have a problem with the "old win32 MIDI implementation" in Windows, which means that they sometimes (have to?) close/reopen devices.

Note that its only the appearance of the dialog that's annoying. Once I've clicked it away, VMS continues to work perfectly.

I'm wondering if there could be a VMS option that would prevent the dialog's appearance. The hot-plugging scenario is actually quite rare, but its annoying to be interrupted unnecessarily while deep in a debugging session...
Of course, if you think this would introduce too much clutter in your options, I'll quite understand.

All the best,
James

BeastOfSoda wrote:
vanbasco -> midi-yoke -> midi-OX -> MOTU micro lite via USB -> expanders -> mixers.
... have maybe a simplified mixing panel that shows only volume/pan-pot levels for active soundfont instances...

I suppose you're splitting the 16 channels from VanBasco to different devices to have different soundfonts render different channels (programs).
Actually this is not possible, because each virtual device has a single soundfont set and this can't be splitted between channels.

Of course you could split the MIDI stream in parts then send each one to a different VMS virtual device, but this will keed Midi-Yoke + Midi-OX in your MIDI chain.
Another way could be to build a custom soundfont from more than one sources; I mean took Piano from SF_A, Drums from SF_B and so on.
I'm not a soundfont expert but, once done, your setup will be lighter and easy to run.

BeastOfSoda wrote:
it would also be cool if we could do without midi yoke/ox at all and have an internal port that routes midi to all soundfont instances without extra software (as in: vanbasco -> virtualmidisynth input -> internal multi-out), is it possible?

It could be, but VMS is a virtual MIDI device, not a MIDI (pre)processor so this feature will "confuse" its users.

BeastOfSoda wrote:
one last thing that would be awesome is some more possible virtual MIDI devices, like 8 or 10, can this be done?

It should, VMS code is "scalable" but I've never tested it with so much devices.
And if this needing comes from the MIDI splitting I've quoted above, well maybe there's a much more efficient workaround.

BeastOfSoda wrote:
do keep up the good work, i'll be eager to try any new betas and look forward to a version suitable for live use!

Thanks for your kind words ;)

notator wrote:
Chrome has quite reasonably classed this as a P3 (low priority) bug.  It seems they have a problem with the "old win32 MIDI implementation" in Windows, which means that they sometimes (have to?) close/reopen devices.

Note that its only the appearance of the dialog that's annoying. Once I've clicked it away, VMS continues to work perfectly.

I'm scratching my head looking for a fix better than an hide message option.
I fear that people set it then forget it, so when (after a while) a program other than chrome.exe will try to reopen an an already opened device, user will not be warned anymore because they forgot that option...

As a quick workaround I'll skip that message only for chrome.exe, waiting for a better idea to come up.

coolsoft wrote:
As a quick workaround I'll skip that message only for chrome.exe, waiting for a better idea to come up.

Many thanks. That's great -- for me at least! If anyone else objects, or this leads to confusion in future, please don't hesitate to put it back.

I'll let you know when/if Chrome fixes the problem at their end.

Hey there! I've been using this little program for a while now, and out of all the software midi synths I've tried (Timidity++ BASSMIDI), this one has to be by far the easiest to use and most versatile. I play a lot of older PC games, and since OS and hardware support for MIDI has gotten chintzier and chintzier since the mid-late 90's, this program has been a real boon to me, and it's great to have these games' soundtracks done justice for once. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to work on this, and I eagerly await the day it's officially released.

Anyways, I've never noticed any bugs or had any real issues my entire time using this software previous. However, I've recently noticed that setting a soundfont's volume level to any value under 100% mutes it completely for some reason. I've no idea when this was introduced since I haven't had to do it before I decided to switch soundfonts, but I've checked and it effects every soundfont I own, so it can't be just that one.

Unfortunately it's been that way since the feature was first added during alpha.  I was certain I'd actually reported it way back then but I can't for the life of me find the post in my history, though I can see Supergod referencing it on April 30 last year (alpha 13).

The response from that suggests the issue could be from BASS, not VMS.  The value is passed to BASS_MIDI_FontSetVolume() directly - perhaps it has a different means to parse numbers less than 1?

Pagine