Most programs want to use the "Deafult MIDI Out device" at the same time

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Most programs want to use the "Deafult MIDI Out device" at the same time

Software: VMS 2.0.0
RAM: 32 GB

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've got Number of devices set to 4, my one soundfont has 1-4 selected in the soundfonts chain, Default MIDI Out device is set to VirtualMIDISynth #1, and Windows Media Player default device is set to VirtualMIDISynth #4.

If I try to play MIDI in Winamp v5.666 while running DOSBox, or I open a second DOSBox instance, I get the following error:

Device "VirtualMIDISynth #1" is already in use by process "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe", PID #3124."

With VMS 1.x, what would happen is that an additional instance of VMS started whenever an additional program requested the MIDI device. On occasion I've had up up to four instances of VMS running at the same time (each with its own tray icon), as I do a lot of stuff in DOSBox, and sometimes listen to MIDI in Winamp. In this thread it has been stated that this kind of behavior was the result of a bug.

I'm aware of the option to turn off the "already in use" notice, but what I would really like is for both instances of DOSBox (or an instance of DOSBox and an instance of Winamp) be able to each automatically select the next available device. Like I said, I do a lot of stuff in DOSBox, usually involving programs that use MIDI, and I frequently run two instances of DOSBox at the same time for the convenience of running two DOS programs at the same time or simply not having to frequently change working directories, and I would really like to not have to worry about which program "won" device #1. (Whichever program "won" the device has no issues outputting sound, while the others are silent.) Is there a way to automatically assign the next available device to a requesting program? If it's a matter of memory usage, I've got 32GB of RAM, so I wouldn't mind having to enable a "memory-hungry option."

I'll attach the VMS log file.

By the way, while running DOSBox and Winamp, I also ran Music Creator 6. Music Creator put no sound out until I manually specified a device (#3), and then I had no output issues there.

Attachments (Only registered users)
VirtualMIDISynth_debug_report.7z
Re: Most programs want to use the "Deafult MIDI Out device" at the same time

Well, okay, I thought Winamp didn't have a MIDI output configuration, but it actually has a MIDI input configuration (see attachment). Through trial and error I was able to select a non-conflicting device for WinAmp. This still however doesn't resolve the issue of multiple instances of DOSBox wanting to use the same device.

Attachments (Only registered users)
winamp_midi_cfg.png

On Win10, I seem to have similar issues after installing version 2.0.0.  In my situ I want to have Finale and Cubase open at the same time so I can alternate between them.  This was not a problem with version 1.17.1, but now I get the same "in use" error.  In addition, my sequencers now only recognize CoolSoft VirtualSynth as VirtualMIDISynth #1 whereas in the previous version they were recognized by the expected name "CoolSoft VirtualSynth".  If I can't get this easily ironed out I will have no choice but to revert back to the previous version!  It was cooler w/ no system complications.

...This was not a problem with version 1.17.1, but now I get the same "in use" error.

Exactly the same by me.

Lost Chord wrote:
In my situ I want to have Finale and Cubase open at the same time so I can alternate between them.

You can configure VMS to get 2 virtual devices: VirtualMIDISynth #1 and VirtualMIDISynth #2.
Then attach Finale to device #1 and Cubase to device #2.

Lost Chord wrote:
my sequencers now only recognize CoolSoft VirtualSynth as VirtualMIDISynth #1 whereas in the previous version they were recognized by the expected name "CoolSoft VirtualSynth

That's because VMS2 can provide up to 4 virtual devices, so now they are named like VirtualMIDISynth #1...#4.

It's the same for me, and I believe, I will return to 1.17.1 until there is a solution found.

coolsoft wrote:

You can configure VMS to get 2 virtual devices: VirtualMIDISynth #1 and VirtualMIDISynth #2.

Then attach Finale to device #1 and Cubase to device #2.

This is not really something you can call a solution (sorry). I have several programs in use, which output to midi (I did not count, but the number is far beyond 10!). Now I need to make a list by hand, which program I assign to which # ?!? Not really practicable. But even if I did, this will not help, in case I run two (or more) instances of one program at the same time. How should I do the attachment then?

I frequently have multiple instances of my favorite scorewriting program (PriMus) open in parallel to compare notation and I also let them play in parallel. This all was working perfect with 1.17.1. Now with 2.0 I continuously get the message

---------------------------
CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth
Gerät "VirtualMIDISynth #1" wird bereits verwendet von Prozess: C:\Program Files (x86)\PriMus\PriMus.exe, PID #1200.
OK   

The same happens for good old VanBasco Karaoke player. I just can't work any more. So please, have a thought, how to reenable old device sharing again.

Until that day, I'm returning to 1.17.1, even if it's not supported any more, it's working.

Regards.

bassklampfe wrote:
This is not really something you can call a solution (sorry). I have several programs in use, which output to midi (I did not count, but the number is far beyond 10!). Now I need to make a list by hand, which program I assign to which # ?!? Not really practicable. But even if I did, this will not help, in case I run two (or more) instances of one program at the same time. How should I do the attachment then?

I was not trying to shut this argument down but, believe me, this usage mode is really specific and not so widespread.
I'm actually working on a version that tries to remove that limit, but I'm still having some difficulties in synchronization between driver and synth...

Will post some news here ;)

coolsoft wrote:

I'm actually working on a version that tries to remove that limit, but I'm still having some difficulties in synchronization between driver and synth...

Will post some news here ;)

Ok, then I will patiently wait for the next release :-)

Regard

Just released 2.1-RC in its brand new thread.
Version 2.1 will have this feature but, being it a risky change, I'd like to experiment it a bit.

So let's continue there, closing this one.