Win 10 installation issue

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Win 10 installation issue

Anyone here know why VirtualMIDISynth won't install on my Win 10 x64 machine? When I double click on the installer, nothing seems to happen. I have downloaded a couple of different versions from its web site and it is the same for each one, ie, nothing. I am running Win 10 x64 1709, if that matters. I have also tried telling it to install as Administrator, but that doesn't matter either.

Many thanks

Re: Win 10 installation issue

There could be some security software "interfering" with VirtualMIDISynth setup.

Usual reccomendations:

• run VirtualMIDISynth_xxx_setup.exe from a local drive (i.e. user desktop)
  • disable any Virus scanner running, or add the folder that contains setup file to exclusion list
    (feel free to check setup .exe file for any virus using online services like www.virustotal.com)
  • open Task Manager (details tab) and check if the process VirtualMIDISynth_xxx_setup.exe is still up and running or it starts then suddenly stops
  • check Windows Event Viewer for any reported issue about setup failure

I have performed all the steps you listed. I now get an Application Error pop-up with the following text:

---------------------------
CoolSoft_VirtualMIDISynth_2.3.0.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.
OK   

Any more ideas?

Was this machine upgraded from Win7?
A lot of people had issues due to missing or misconfigured "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package", often after an upgrade.
That package is bundled with all Windows installations, but sometimes it gets corrupted.
NOTE: VirtualMIDISynth does not need it but it is required (and bundled) by Windows to make some tasks before launching a setup.

First thing to try is run the sfc utility that should repair missing Windows components.
Press Win+X then select Windows Powershell (Admin) and run this command:

sfc /scannow

If nothing bad was found you could try to reinstall it manually:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=14632

I'm guessing we are in widely separated time zones. :)

The system I am trying to install on is a new laptop with Win 10 Pro. It came from the vendor this way, so there was no upgrade performed.

Anyway, I have uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled the vcredist_x64.exe you spoke and linked to. There is no difference. I had also run sfc /scannow between my last message and your last reply. It found no issues.

Can you think of anything else?

I wonder if me running Dependency Walker against the installer would be helpful to you? I also assume the installer is 32-bit?

Also, I just tried to install your MidiMapper application and have the exact problem as with VMS. I get the same error as well. There must be something related to your toolset/compliing that doesn't like my machine. I have a Win 7 machine and there are no issues on it.

Martin Parrott wrote:
I wonder if me running Dependency Walker against the installer would be helpful to you?

Of course it will.
Please note that the old DependencyWalker (v.2.2) has some issues on Win10.
I suggest you to have a look (and use) Dependencies (https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies) which works perfectly and is actively mantained.

Martin Parrott wrote:
I also assume the installer is 32-bit?

Installer is the well-known NSIS 2.6 - Unicode (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/) and, yes, it's 32 bit with the needed configuration to install items on both x86/x64 systems.

Martin Parrott wrote:
Also, I just tried to install your MidiMapper application and have the exact problem as with VMS. I get the same error as well.

They both share the same installer so this is another sign "against" NSIS vs Your system ;)

Very strange. I have other NSIS based installers that work fine.

For what it is worth, I have found a few other references to others having issues installing things on Windows 10 using NSIS installers. It appears to be related to the 2.x branch of NSIS. Version 3.01 is said to work, whereas 3.02 does not. I haven't investigated 3.03 (the latest version) to know if it has fixed the issue.

At this point I am going to say there is some combination of factors that keeps the installers from working on my system. I shall try to find an alternative to VMS.

Many thanks for all your assistance.

Sorry to hear that.
I'll update my NSIS build tools in the future, but not soon (because it almost works, and 2.x --> 3.x could introduce a lot of unknown issues ;)).

Have you tried to open  CoolSoft_VirtualMIDISynth_2.3.0.exe with Dependencies?
I'd like to know what's missing...

Yes, I did open CoolSoft_VirtualMIDISynth_2.3.0.exe with Dependencies. I saw nothing that showed what was missing. Having said that, I am unfamiliar with this Dependencies version, so I have probably missed something. If you know what to look for and where to click, I'll check again. Also, if there is a way to export its findings, I would be glad to do that for you.

Pagine