No sound after v.2.7.3

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
No sound after v.2.7.3

Hi,

I have been using VMS for a number of years and never had any issues with it. I was using v.2.8 on a machine which worked fine.

I had a HD crash and had to reformat and start from scratch with a fresh install of Win 10 Pro.
I got all of my software installed and downloaded v.2.8 and discovered that I had no sound from Cakewalk or BIAB.
I have another computer which had all the previous updates in the download folder and tried to install each one to see if the versions worked as I moved up the line.
Everything worked up to v.2.7.3. When I went to v.2.8 again, I still had no sound from Cakewalk or BIAB.

So when I saw 2.9.1 come out, I decided to give that a try and still no sound from Cakewalk and BIAB.
The v.2.7.3 works and does what I need it to do but still would be nice to have the most recent updates.

Re: No sound after v.2.7.3

There's no relevant differences in VMS MIDI driver component between the two versions, nor in the synth.
Most of the changes were done in MIDI Converter.

Tappy wrote:
I was using v.2.8 on a machine which worked fine.

This confirms that 2.8 can work on that hardware, good.

Tappy wrote:
installed and downloaded v.2.8 and discovered that I had no sound from Cakewalk or BIAB

I need to know if the MIDI chain works correctly.
Please confirm that Cakewalk/BIAB can see VMS, you can configure it as output device and, when playing something, you see some activity in VMS MIDI Mixer (expecially the Master channel VU-meter).

If yes, then it could be something related to the updated BASS versions bundled with VMS 2.8 (BASS 2.4.14) and 2.9 (BASS 2.4.15).
Don't know if you're able to, but you could try to replace them with the oldest ones:

• install VMS 2.7.3
  • check if it works ok, then close it
  • copy bass.dll, bassmidi.dll, bassenc.dll to another place
  • now upgrade to VMS 2.9.1
  • confirm it doesn't work, then close it
  • replace the new bass.dll, bassmidi.dll, bassenc.dll with the ones you've saved above
  • check if VMS 2.9.0 now works

If it now works then we can go on this way...

Thanks, I will give those things a try and will get back to you.

Okay, I really feel stupid. My problem was that in the Win volume mixer VMS was muted along with system sounds. However, it appears this happen only when I went from 2.7.3 to 2.8 or 2.9 as when I started going up the line installing versions, I did not encounter this issue until 2.8.  When I discovered the problem and fixed it in 2.8, I installed 2.9 and there was no problem. I have to say this is the first time this has happen since using VMS for a lot of years.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me suggestions for something so simple.

Dave

Nevermind.

Usually the first steps in troubleshooting lists (check the plug, check if the cable is inserted, check the power button, ...) are the ones I quickly skip but, sometimes, they're the ones that fix things ;)