Issue on Mac M1 Parallels Win 11

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Issue on Mac M1 Parallels Win 11

Hello,

PdfPropertyExtension_1.16.0.exe wors fine on Windows 10 genuine.

But on my Macbook air M1 combined with parallels, I cannot see the comments or tags which I can see in normal pdf on Windows 10.

Can somebody approve this as a bug, or is there anything I did wrong?

Best Regards

Re: Issue on Mac M1 Parallels Win 11

Another user reported the same bug here.

I have no other bug reports on Windows 11 till now...

I've noticed that both of you are using Windows 11 on Parallels; maybe it could be the common cause of the bug... 🤔 (I suppose not, anyway).

Just tested PDFPropertyExtension 1.16.0 on the latest Windows11 image (build 22509) and it works, no issues (see the attached screenshot).

It seems to me that Parallels could be the issue.
I don't know Parallels but, being it a virtualization software, one question arises: are the PDF files you're showing in Windows Explorer on the Windows C:\ drive (or any "local" Windows drive)?
Or are they accessible through some kind of emulation layer (like VirtualBox Shared Folders feature)?

Attachments (Only registered users)
PDFPropertyExtension_win11_ss1.png

Thanks fo the quick reply. So Windows 11 is not the root-cause....

I installed a fresh windows and only free commander and "PDF property extension".

It doesn't show the metadata in the Windows Explorer. Using Free Commander I can see the metadata, but windows explorer doesn't show it.

I tried to see metadata in files stored at the local virtual drive C: and on the mac shared folders and on a USB stick. None of them worked.

Maybe it is, because it is running on an ARM processor? Did anybody test this on an ARM based computer?

sebiotec wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. So Windows 11 is not the root-cause...

Well, that's true supposing we're using the same version.
Mine was the latest "insider preview" one, so the most up-to-date...

sebiotec wrote:
I installed a fresh windows and only free commander and "PDF property extension".

It doesn't show the metadata in the Windows Explorer. Using Free Commander I can see the metadata, but windows explorer doesn't show it.

I tried to see metadata in files stored at the local virtual drive C: and on the mac shared folders and on a USB stick. None of them worked.

This is an interesting test...
AFAIR the same PDF files work on Win10, right?

If so, I'd like to teso one of them on my side and I hope to get the same behavior.
Could you please post one of them here?
The smallest the better, and possibly a "public" one (without any reserved data).
If you don't want to make it public, please send it to me privately using the contact form.

please find the attachment. i just called it "test arm". As it doesn't work on arm ;-)

Attachments (Only registered users)
test arm.zip

I can confirm that metadata of the attached PDF file are shown correctly on Windows 11 on x86/x64 platforms.

Windows for ARM emulates an x86 CPU on an ARM processor but... it probably have some limitations.
PDFPropertyExtension is a DLL loaded as in-process COM extension in explorer.exe, so I suppose this won't be emulated at all.

Sadly I can't test it on my side, so can't give more help 🙄.

If possible I'll add an error message to setup to prevent it being installed in ARM platforms.

Thanks for testing!

As Arm processors will be the future (Mac and MS surface) this would not be the end of this kind of emulation... makes me a little sad.

What I don't understand: freecommander and other programs show the tags... they supposedly take the information normally on the same way as the windows explorer does?

sebiotec wrote:
freecommander and other programs show the tags... they supposedly take the information normally on the same way as the windows explorer does?

They (probably) have internal custom parsers of metadata for PDF and other common file types.

Windows Explorer, instead, relies on external property providers (called Property Extensions) that will be called for each extension they're registered for.
I.E. if you install LibreOffice it also installs a Property Extension for .odt, .ods, .odg files.

Sadly (and  oddly) there's no bundled provider for PDF file, which is a very common file type!
That's why PDFPropertyExtension was created...

Pagine