High CPU usage at VMS start or even randomly when in background

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pagine

Re: High CPU usage at VMS start or even randomly when in background

Here we go:

Thread details:

0x0000000000000000
ntdll.dll!NtDelayExecution+0x14
ntdll.dll!RtlDelayExecution+0x43
KERNELBASE.dll!SleepEx+0x7d
VirtualMIDISynth.exe+0x4d010
VirtualMIDISynth.exe+0x69088
KERNEL32.DLL!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x1d
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x28

DOSBox took a while to load a Win3.11 game (through DOSBox + Win3.11) using MIDI (Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures...), so it might have been that...

Hexaae wrote:
DOSBox took a while to load a Win3.11 game (through DOSBox + Win3.11) using MIDI (Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures...), so it might have been that...

Well, DOSBox and VMS processes should not interfere each other.
The former should have loaded the "driver" component of VMS (VirtualMIDISynth.dll), while the latter (VirtualMIDISynth.exe) is a separate process.
See here for some detail about the architecture of VMS 2.x.

Driver and Synth VMS components live in 2 different processes, talking each other through an IPC channel.

My suspect is that the driver is doing "something wrong" while loading the game...
It could be that DOSBox continuously opens/closes the MIDI device, because of a bug or because it expects some kind of "feedback" from the device that doesn't arrive (and so the close/open burst).

Should be great if you could check in VMS Configurator, About tab, if the virtual device is opened/closed repeatedly while the CPU usage is high 🤔.

coolsoft wrote:

Should be great if you could check in VMS Configurator, About tab, if the virtual device is opened/closed repeatedly while the CPU usage is high 🤔.

Ok, will check this out next time it happens...

Just happened again using otya128/winevdm: 16-bit Windows (Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.0, 3.1, etc.) on 64-bit Windows (github.com) trying to run a 16-bit game like good old "Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures" not through DOSBox this time. The game uses MIDI for the Indy tune.

Coolsoft task at 16%, here is Info screenshot when "emulator" was closed but VMS was still constantly stealing cpu time:

NOTICE: I have Win 11 22H2

Hexaae wrote:
Info screenshot when "emulator" was closed but VMS was still constantly stealing cpu time

That's interesting, it seems not related to MIDI synthesis tasks but to something else "stuck" at doing something 🤔

I really don't know what it could be...

I'll try with MS ACT to isolate VirtualMIDISynth from Nahimic using IngoreLoadLibrary shim:

SS3DevProps.dll;NahimicAPIDevProps2.dll

Include: *

Maybe is just a conflict with Nahimic (well known to cause troubles in the past with games and apps)...

Pagine