Headphones not cutting out with Noteworthy Composer

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!
Headphones not cutting out with Noteworthy Composer

Hi -

I have headphones which work with another laptop, and with (e.g.) a BBC podcast on my own laptop, in cutting out the internal laptop speakers and switching to headphone output.  However, when playing music through Noteworthy, neither thing happens.  If, however, I revert in Noteworthy to the Microsoft wavetable, the speakers cut out as they should.

To me, this suggests the behaviour is down to the otherwise lovely Midisynth - does anyone have any helpful ideas, please?

I have searched this forum without success...

TIA

Jonathan Norris

Re: Headphones not cutting out with Noteworthy Composer

Do you confirm that the selected output device in VMS is the one and not a specific one?

Hi - thanks for your reply - which I fear may be to some other question....?  I don't know what you mean by VMS.

Jonathan

jonathan.norris wrote:
otherwise lovely Midisynth

VMS is... VirtualMIDISynth 😂
I suppose you were talking about it.

Setting its output device to should make it dynamically switch to another device when it became the new default (like when inserting an headphone plug or connecting a Bluetooth device).
I wrote should because sometimes Windows is not throwing these event changes, so I suppose VMS is not switching correctly on your side.

Hello again (sorry for slow reply!)

I find that by using the Configurator (while headphones are plugged in) I can choose to assign them as the output to the VMS, and they work as expected.  If I subsequently unplug the headphones, the Configurator automatically reverts to the default (i.e. laptop speakers).  It's just the automatic switch to headphones that doesn't work.  No big deal I guess...

Many thanks for your help!

Jonathan

Don't assign a specific output device in VMS. Just select the device "< default >".

Then VMS will automatically play audio via the device selected by windows (defaut audio device) or by the device you select in windows' sound settings or sound control panel.

virtual wrote:
Just select the device "< default >".

Let me add that you should select Headphones as preferred device in Windows Audio Devices configuration dialog.
Doing this will mark them as the default device once connected, and VMS will follow that preference.

Gents -

Many thanks again for keeping at the explanation process until we seem finally to have arrived!  Coolsoft - your reply on 16th apparently lost the word 'default' which meant I was unable fully to understand what you were saying.  Now that you have both (in different ways) pointed me to the Windows Audio Device dialog, I have been able to leave VMS at 'default' and have the plugging in or out of the headphones cause the change in output - very satisfactory!

You must think me very dim with my entry-level questions, especially as I have been using Noteworthy for decades!  I caught wind of a possible and very welcome improvement in my sound output quality when the Noteworthy forum mentioned the idea of a virtual 'wavetable' to replace the very basic Microsoft one - and I was very pleased with the result.  But my technical understanding is limited to choosing 'play device(s)' and, more recently, discovering I could name VirtualMIDISynth twice to obtain 32 channels for larger pieces of music.  I use no other MIDIs - no keyboard and no other software, and have so far found no need for MIDI to Noteworthy conversions.  That's where I'm coming from - oh, and using headphones is a new departure for me - quite a different sound!

Thanks once again!

Jonathan

jonathan.norris wrote:

Gents -

Coolsoft - your reply on 16th apparently lost the word 'default'

this is the reason why I had to re-edit my post and put the '\' before the '<' '>' symbols. Without the backslash the word default was filtered out by the forum software..

virtual wrote:
this is the reason why I had to re-edit my post and put the '\' before the '<' '>' symbols. Without the backslash the word default was filtered out by the forum software..

I've fixed the previous post, thanks for your help 😉.

(sometimes forum gets crazy with < & > chars, interpreting them as HTML tags... 😔)