PDF Property Extension
PDF Property Extension is a lightweight COM extension that brings back PDF properties and columns (like Title, Author, Subject, Comments) to Windows Explorer (File Explorer). It implements the IPropertyHandler interface for PDF files, required from Windows Vista® and later.
Works on Windows Vista®, 7, 8 and 10 (both x86 and x64).
How it works
Just install it and... nothing else.
Nothing to configure, when installation completes your Windows Explorer (File Explorer) will populate the additional columns (you need to show them by right clicking on the list header):
And the "File properties | Details" will show the new properties too:
Starting from Windows Vista®, file properties subsystem was deeply changed and the old IColumnHandler support has been removed.
The new IPropertyHandler interface must be implemented to let custom file properties (like Title, Author, Comments) appear in Windows Explorer (File Explorer).
None of the free PDF viewers I know, including the official Adobe Reader®, implement the new interface.
Some of them implement the IFilter interface that makes properties available only to Windows Search.
A trick/workaround to show PDF properties is to write somethinf in the "search" box in the upper-right corner of Windows Explorer, like *.pdf, but it's an uncomfortable solution for me.
But starting a file search just to show PDF titles was too much for me, that's why I wrote PDF Property Extension.
PDF Property Extension is free to use.
Donations are welcome, especially from professional/business users.
Feedback & bug reporting
To report any issue you had with PDFPropertyExtension please use the dedicated forum here.
v.1.8.1 - 2016-10-21
- Fixed infinite parsing loop for PDFs containing multiple plain Xref tables.
v.1.8.0 - 2016-10-17
- Added support for encrypted files with unencrypted metadata.
v.1.7.0 - 2016-06-16
- Added support for XMP metadata.
- Added support for Xref table revisions.
- Faster reading of PDF Xref tables.
v.1.6.0 - 2016-06-06
- PDF parser now supports Xref tables with object references.
v.1.5.3 - 2016-05-16
- Fixed internal inflate buffer sizing issues, leading to uncompressing failures for some PDF streams (and no metadata shown for these files).
v.1.5.2 - 2016-05-02
- Added support to Company, Category and Keywords (Tags) properties.
- Added command line version of the parser: PdfPropertyExtension.exe.
It's stored in a system folder, so could be called from everywhere and used to automate metadata extraction.
- Fixed memory access exceptions on some PDF files, leading to Explorer crash.
- Optimized parser to fix possible memory address overflows.
- Fixed parsing of (malformed) PDF files with offset pointing to the \r\n before "xref" tag.
v.1.5.1 - 2015-09-05
- Fixed parsing of PDF metadata containing escaped chars.
v.1.5.0 - 2015-06-24
- Added support to PDF 1.6 XREF compressed table objects.
- Fixed crashes caused by compressed stream content.
v.1.4.1 - 2015-04-29
- Setup hangs on some systems.
v.1.4.0 - 2015-04-20
- Added support for PDF keywords.
- Fixed parsing of PDF files with HEX encoded values splitted over multiple lines.
v.1.3.1 - 2015-04-18
- Fixed crash of Windows Explorer when parsing some PDF.
v.1.3.0 - 2015-02-12
- New and faster PDF parser.
- Added support to PDF-1.5 files, with encoded object-type XREF tables.
v.1.2.0 - 2015-01-09
- Added support for "Subject" property.
v.1.1.0 - 2014-12-11
- Optimized speed and memory of PDF parsing.
- Fixed issues with PDF titles containing slashes "/".
- Fixed crash with encrypted PDFs.
- Windows Explorer now won't show misleading edit boxes for PDF missing properties anymore.
v.1.0.0 - 2014-11-03
- First public release
WARNING: Windows Vista® (or newer) is needed to run this software.
|Release date||2016-Oct-21||Size||461,251 bytes|
|Virus check||Open virus check report|
Thanks for your comprehension and enjoy CoolSoft.
- .NET Framework
- WEB / PHP
- Translate software
Click here if you want to support CoolSoft: