VirtualMIDISynth 2.x alpha available for testing

It seems you're using an AdBlocker or JavaScript is disabled!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).

This 10 seconds wait is to let you update your AdBlocker whitelist...

Got it, show me the content...
Please enable JavaScript!

Pages

Posts: 102
Joined: March 8, 2014 - 22:29
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released
Ray890 wrote:

and I can immediately say performance is continuing to be on the decline.

Same thing happens to me...

Posts: 1536
Joined: March 25, 2012 - 01:19
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released

Thanks for your detailed testing.
Actually I'm trying to find the most efficient way to let the two processes (driver and synth) communicate each other.

Alpha6 seemed better to me on my development machine.
I tested it with "Red Zone 1 million reconstruction.mid": alpha5 hangs at 1:03 while alpha6 not (it slows down a lot but doesn't hang).

Alpha6 has a new queue, but it's still synchronous: driver sends a message, server read and work on it then returns an acknowledge.
This is needed for some "service" messages, used by the two parties to "know" each other: server start/ready/stop, device init, ...
But most of the messages (think about the MIDI ones) do not need it and should be asynchronous; the driver will throw them as fast as it can.

I'm going to improve it this way...

Posts: 1536
Joined: March 25, 2012 - 01:19
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released
coolsoft wrote:
Actually I'm trying to find the most efficient way to let the two processes (driver and synth) communicate each other.
...
But most of the messages (think about the MIDI ones) do not need it and should be asynchronous; the driver will throw them as fast as it can.
I'm going to improve it this way...

Quick update about development progress: the new asynchronous queue is almost complete, just needs a few testing.
And it's really much more faster since it could deliver about 1000 messages/ms.

My test MIDI file "Red Zone 1 million reconstruction.mid" now plays smoothly, no hangs at all.

Stay tuned...

Posts: 102
Joined: March 8, 2014 - 22:29
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released
coolsoft wrote:

Quick update about development progress: the new asynchronous queue is almost complete, just needs a few testing.
And it's really much more faster since it could deliver about 1000 messages/ms.

My test MIDI file "Red Zone 1 million reconstruction.mid" now plays smoothly, no hangs at all.

Stay tuned...

YESSSSSSSSS I'M SO HAPPY NOW. :D

Posts: 1536
Joined: March 25, 2012 - 01:19
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released

Could you please post a link to a MIDI test file I should try?
Actually I'm using "Red Zone 1 million reconstruction.mid" but I'd like to test other ones.

Posts: 102
Joined: March 8, 2014 - 22:29
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released
coolsoft wrote:

Could you please post a link to a MIDI test file I should try?
Actually I'm using "Red Zone 1 million reconstruction.mid" but I'd like to test other ones.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure, try Bad Apple 3.5 Million Notes, you can find it here.

If you pass it at like 2:20-2:30, well, it's going to work like the good old CoolSoft. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-eL3mYPmeA

Posts: 26
Joined: March 12, 2013 - 16:35
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released

Hey,

Is it possible to fix somehow winamp's midi volume control?

For some reason volume control is completly broken.

Also, you can't choose VirtualMIDISynth as device, there is only MidiOUT/MS Midi Mapper, but it plays correctly.

Win 8.1.1 here

Posts: 1536
Joined: March 25, 2012 - 01:19
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released
supergod wrote:
Is it possible to fix somehow winamp's midi volume control?

AFAIK WinAmp changes the "analog" part of MIDI out device and not the volume inside the MIDI stream, so you're forced to use the default MIDI Out.
This won't work for devices other than Microsoft GS Synth.

supergod wrote:
Also, you can't choose VirtualMIDISynth as device, there is only MidiOUT/MS Midi Mapper, but it plays correctly.

I don't know how WinAmp scans for devices...
It worths a try to post your question on WinAmp forum here: http://forums.winamp.com/
 

Posts: 14
Joined: October 14, 2014 - 00:11
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released

Hi. I'm Carlos S. M. from the Black MIDI Team

I tested CoolSoft VMS 2.0 Alpha 6 with Black MIDIs on my current machine and did some tests with Piano From Above and MIDITrail. I experience more lags than CoolSoft 1.xx.x like KaleidonKep99 said

Pros:

  • MIDITrail Issue fixed (VMS 1.xx.x get error messages with MIDITrail)
  • Fixed all Bass conflicts

Cons:

  • Lags more than VMS 1.xx.x
  • Unstable at times

Some sugesstions:

  • Solve the lag issues
  • A 64 bit Synth module (.exe) like 32 bit Synth for 32 bit programs and 64 bit Synth for 64 bit Programs
  • Better CPU management

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.6 GHz (OC)

RAM: 12 GB RAM

GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1 GB

HDD: 2x 1 TB WD Caviar Green

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Carlos S. M. - Black MIDI Team Member
Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgVv5sa3hZluRZ8AQdq5tEg

Posts: 102
Joined: March 8, 2014 - 22:29
Re: CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0-alpha6 released
Carlos S. M. wrote:
  • Solve the lag issues
  • A 64 bit Synth module (.exe) like 32 bit Synth for 32 bit programs and 64 bit Synth for 64 bit Programs
That's a bit useless.
You can do an installer that install a 64-bit version of the .exe for 64-bit O.S., to allow the user to use big soundfonts (Like 3-4 GB), with both 32 and 64-bit drivers.

Pages