MS GS Wavetable Synth is the only soundfont I'm hearing

Please let our ADS show!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).
Please:

• disable your AdBlocker by adding CoolSoft website to whitelist
  • give the proper cookie consent
  • enable JavaScript for this website

This seconds wait is to let you update your browser configuration...

Ok, I've done the required changes... now show me your content!
!!! Please enable JavaScript !!!

Pages

MS GS Wavetable Synth is the only soundfont I'm hearing

I feel like I must be missing something simple, but I've followed the steps and can't get Windows Media Player or ScummVM to use the soundfont that I want, it always has the MS GS Wavetable sound. I know the soundfont should sound differently from the MS one because I can get the combination of soundfont and midi file (Quest For Glory 4 soundtrack) to work in VLC with the FluidSynth codec.

As far as the basic setup, I have VirtualMIDISynth and MIDI Mapper running, with VirtualMIDISynth #1 set for Default MIDI Out device, Windows Media Player default device and (in MIDIMapper) Default MIDI device. I also have tried setting the green box for both of those soundfonts on the Soundfont tab.

Info:

MSI Katana GF76
Windows 10 64bit v 22H2
11th Gen Intel i7-11800H @2.3GHz
32GB RAM

VirtualMidiSynth version 2.13.8
Windows Media Player and/or ScummVM with SC55_zzdenis_v0.5.sf2 or GeneralUser GS v 1.471.sf2

I'm not sure of my Sound Card, it's onboard. Device manager reports Realtek(R) Audio, Nahemic Easy Surround and Mirroring device and a bunch of other stuff under the Sound, video and game controllers dropdown.

Thanks!

Greg

Re: MS GS Wavetable Synth is the only soundfont I'm hearing

more details…

Attachments (Only registered users)
VirtualMIDISynth_debug_report.txt

Thanks for attaching the debug log file.

As far as I can see in it, the setting for default midi device (the last item in debug file) is wrong.

64-bit available devices list is:

MIDI Devices (x64)
================== [0]: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth [1]: VirtualMIDISynth #1

and the corresponding 64-bit default device setting is

*** HKCU\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum 64-bit\{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device ***
MidiOutId: 0

while it should read like this:

MidiOutId: 1

You should try to change that registry value to 1 (using Regedit).
If you don't feel comfortable with Regedit, I've attached a zipped .reg file to set it; dowload the attached .zip file, extract the contained .reg file then double click it to import.

If it works, then we'll go deeper to find why MIDIMapper is setting the wrong value.

set-x64-default-device-to-1.zip

Please also confirm that the version of CoolSoft MIDIMapper is the latest available: v.2.1.2 (released on 2024-01-07)

I made the changes, but it is still playing the GS soundfont.
The MIDIMapper is version 2.1.2.
Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

Well, in your latest log the x64 devices list changed again and now is:

MIDI Devices (x64)
==================
[0]: VirtualMIDISynth #1
[1]: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth

with VirtualMIDISynth at index 0 🤔.

So it seems that it changes “randomly”; since I suppose you've switched off your PC between your first post and this last one, maybe there's something “strange” happening at reboot…

You could:

• close all instances of Windows Media Player
  • export the updated log and open it to read the VirtualMIDISynth current index
  • edit my .reg file and set the correct current index
  • check if Windows Media Player works correctly

Another test you could do is test another MIDI player like VanBasco (http://www.vanbasco.com) or the well known Media Player Classic (https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc) which is available both in x86 and x64 versions (ZIP version is portable!).

My plan was actually to use Windows Media Player with VirtualMIDISyth to debug problems getting VirtualMIDISynth, or soundfonts in general to work with ScummVM.  My latest attempt to fix the issue was replacing all the midi entries in the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32) with VirtualMIDISynth.dll, except of course for the MIDIMapper.dll.  Still no luck with ScummVM or Windows Media Player.

This current setup looks right I think, but it is still playing the MS GS Soundfont.  If I switch between the two soundfonts and apply, it just mutes for a brief period and starts again sounding exactly the same.

If this is more trouble than you want to deal with I understand, it seems like the issue is more adjacent to some general MIDI issues I'm having on this PC than VirtualMIDISynth specific, but any info you can provide could help me root cause the problem. Are there other places I could look to see what is taking over my MIDI settings?

Thanks again!

Greg Finley wrote:
If I switch between the two soundfonts and apply, it just mutes for a brief period and starts again sounding exactly the same.

So it's using VMS?
If you open VMS MIDI Mixer do you see any activity in there?

coolsoft wrote:
If you open VMS MIDI Mixer do you see any activity in there?

If yes, could you please try FluidR3_GM soundfont (it's the first in the soundfonts list here).
It's a well-known SF2, featuring all GM patches…

Yes, I see some activity in the VMS mixer with WMP running a MIDI file.

Pages