2.1.0 Reverb bug

It seems you're using an AdBlocker or JavaScript is disabled!

This sites offers only FREE software and it's supported by a few advertisement boxes (no intrusive popups).

This 10 seconds wait is to let you update your AdBlocker whitelist...

Got it, show me the content...
Please enable JavaScript!

Pages

Posts: 1542
Joined: March 25, 2012 - 01:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

After a long and deep analysis, I finally found the source of memory and resources leak.
It was due to a deadlock race that happens under specific conditions; once it happens, each virtual device instance is created twice (with two update threads, thus the resource leak) but only one was released.

Please try the attached 2.2.1.900 version, that includes a fix to this bug, and report your thoughts.

UPDATE: released version 2.3.0 that contains the fix, attachment removed

Posts: 47
Joined: April 25, 2016 - 12:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

That's it, problem sorted. Memory useage only climbs slightly when a new midi file is played and is freed up again, doesn't get stuck and keep climbing. Well done! :-D

Reverb also seems to be working ok at the moment, I'll see what it's like after multiple restarts and reboots. It's looking very promising.

http://kiwi6.com/artists/GEN_MIDI

Posts: 1542
Joined: March 25, 2012 - 01:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

Great, thanks for your tests (and feedback)!

Will release an update soon...

UPDATE: released version 2.3.0

Posts: 47
Joined: April 25, 2016 - 12:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

In both the memory leak test version and 2.3.0 the reverb setting still needs changing from 127 to a lower number, and back again to enable the full amount. It seems no matter the different setting in options, VMS loads with the default value of 64 regardless (what it sounds like to me). It's not as serious a problem as the memory leak, but for now I'm just back with 2.0.1 again to save me from keep having to change the reverb setting (I don't know if the chorus is affected, I can just instantly hear the lack of reverb).

I'm happy to keep testing, thanks for the great software.

http://kiwi6.com/artists/GEN_MIDI

Posts: 1542
Joined: March 25, 2012 - 01:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

I'm still not able to reproduce the Reverb/Chorus bug on my side: setting it to 127 is correctly stored into configuration file and also applied to played MIDI (the difference between the default 64 and 127 values is noticeable, so I can trust my ears).
I wonder if this is related to the way or speed WinAmp opens/closes the device; in fact the memory leak bug was initially more evident to you using Winamp.

Please confirm the following points before I'll start a debug session with Winamp:

  1. when does the reverb-missing bug appear more often?
    - at the first played MIDI after a reboot
    - after some random files has been played
    - after a specific file/set of files has been played
  2. once fixed the reverb (by setting a lower value and resetting it to 127), does the bug reappear during the same VMS session (no closing of the systray icon)?
  3. once the bug happens, is lowering/raising reverb value the only way to fix it?
    Doesn't close/reopen VMS server through the systray icon achieve the same effect?

Sorry for the repetitive and (maybe) already answered questions, since I'm stumbling around in the dark I'd like to clear any doubt...

Posts: 47
Joined: April 25, 2016 - 12:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

It's no problem, I'm glad to help.

This is all with a clean install of VMS 2.3.0:

I've found the missing reverb occurs when first starting VMS, either after a reboot or not, regardless of the MIDI file first played.

The bug does not reappear during the same VMS session, only after exiting and restarting the program.

Lowering the reverb value then resetting it to the required full amount seems to be the only workaround, as exiting and restarting VMS sets it off again.

I tried playing MIDI files with Windows Media Player, expecting there to be no problem or the exact same problem. But to add to the confusion the problem exists, but in a different way; no matter if I set reverb to 127 or 0/off, the amount of reverb does not change. It audibly appears to stay at the default 64.

http://kiwi6.com/artists/GEN_MIDI

Posts: 1542
Joined: March 25, 2012 - 01:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

Just to be completely sure I'd like to test one of the MIDI files you played when the bug appears.
Since my MIDI test suite is very limited, I'd like to check if it contains some particular initialization and/or GS/XG SysEx messages.

Please post it here or send it privately through the contact form.

Posts: 47
Joined: April 25, 2016 - 12:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

I used the contact form, though I'm sure it's unrelated to all the MIDI files I have tried.

http://kiwi6.com/artists/GEN_MIDI

Posts: 1542
Joined: March 25, 2012 - 01:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

Here we are, I've prepared a beta version to test.
This version forcibly reset the standard Reverb/Chorus controllers, together with GM and XG extended ones.

Please check it out and confirm if it works correctly...

UPDATE: attachment removed, see following posts for a newer one

Posts: 47
Joined: April 25, 2016 - 12:19
Re: 2.1.0 Reverb bug

I noticed a problem straight after installing and testing a MIDI. There is plenty of reverb and definitely too much chorus. It's like they've been forced on at max rather than allow up to max, especially the chorus for sure as I know the MIDI has no effects controllers and my soundfont keeps chorus low here and there for effect only.

http://kiwi6.com/artists/GEN_MIDI

Pages